Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Hard wiring GPS to 650? May have fried it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard wiring GPS to 650? May have fried it!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya. The one I bought from Radio Shack was about the size of your GPS plug, but about twice as long. It looks like a big plug but it has a sliding switch on it so you can select what voltage you want it to run at. What I did was solder about 10" of wire to the end of the transformer, Battery positive to the center pin and negative to the side, and put a regular cigarette lighter plug( like your GPS plug) on the other side. I than plastic tied the transformer to the air box and ran the wires to my 12 voly plug. I used silicone to seal up the transformer. Still working after over two years of hard riding. I have this on both bikes. I now have a Garmin GPSV, which uses 12 volts so I don't use it anymore, but for the seven bucks Radio Shack charged it was money well spent! Hope this helps, Good luck! Pete

Old 06-05-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I know someone who would sure be interested in it since you're not using it anymore =] Unless you think it's easily found at radio shack. Nothing like it on their web site![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought it off the rack. It was by a bunch of their 12v power supplies. Alot of people use these things to power their kids games and stuff like that off of the lighter in the car. If you need me to I will take a digital photo of it so you can see what it looks like. I will also get you a part number off of it. It is now in my R.V. so my kid can play his games while we are in it, but I gaurantee you will be able to get one from the store, I see them all the time when I'm in there. Don't quote me on this one but my buddy says he bought one at walmart, it was in their electronics section and it was for powering portable CD players off of the car lighter. Let me know if you need anymore info.