Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

P650 poll - everyone please look!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P650 poll - everyone please look!

Good calll lightman.

You guys with stinky oil, you are the minority here. Those of us without this problem have to rely heavily on you to figure it out. I can't fix mine if it isn't broken.

Is it mostly or only the canadian models? Alltoys is in canada too. We americans don't have that primer bulb.

Old 06-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

No kidding ...the Canadian models have priming bulbs on them ???? NYROC, ALLTOYS, ANYONE...got any thoughts on my KBEC problem listed on the other thread ????

Old 06-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc - NovaKaw650, I wonder if you would smell gas in my oil? My oil stinks, but it isn't gasoline. Go smell your car's oil.
I'm not new at this sort of thing - this is definitely gas in the oil.
Many other machines use an auto compression release - and don't need extra throttle to allow the engine to turn a little faster to start. Not that giving it extra throttle when hot is a big deal; but if any of you have to give it extra throttle and when it fires up it sounds rough for a second or two, it's flooded.

The only realistic way for gas to get in the oil is for the gas to run out of the carbs and into the cylinders - I, for one, don't like to have my cylinders washed down with gas between start-ups.

The oil leaking in may be burnt off in the heat of the engine which would explain why the oil level doesn't go over full. I would still prefer to have oil up against the metal surfaces rather than gasoline.
Lightman posted -
As far as fuel dilution(proper term) of your oil is concerned, there is an easy way to find out for sure, rather than having a bunch of people out smelling their dipsticks. Ride out till your nomal oil change interval, take a sample and send it off.
I'm trying to determine two things - what is causing the gas in the oil and if this is unique to just a few machines or does it affect a large population. I like the idea of testing the oil; I'll check with the local truck center to see where they send their oil to be tested.
BTY - we currently have 12 machines with a gas smell and 13 without. W/O getting into a statistical analysis, I'd consider that a common problem.
Alltoys - did you completely eliminate the fuel tank check valve when you rerouted the line?

Old 06-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

I think maybe some folks noses are more sensitive than others. All of the small engines I have ever been around, motorcycles, atvs, lawn mowers, etc. have some smell of gas in the oil. I always contributed it to the small volume of oil and less than precise carbureation. Usually running these engines will cook out the majority of the gas and only leave the smell behind. I would be willing to bet that even the worst smelling oil will still be within acceptable limits when an analysis is done.
Some refiner's gasoline smells much stronger than others and I'm sure this factors in also. Here, no matter what brand of gas one buys it comes from the same refiner and it stinks to high heaven. Get it on your hands and no amount of hand washing will remove the smell. It usually has to just wear off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

If the smell is from vapors flowing back through the crankcase vent tube, then everyone should have a smell.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

I think that you canadians (with the canadian carb that has a primer):

1. really do smell gas.
2. Probably need to think about removing that tank vent check valve (or whatever alltoys did).
3. Have harder times starting you machines due to extra gas in intake.

We americans:
1. Are just smelling normal oil (stinks for many reasons, but no strong gas smell), unless we left our fuel switched to on.
2. Are only needing to crack the throttle to start it because the compression release works a little differently than other machines.
3. should not be overly concerned, other than to assist our northern buddies in any way possible

Kawi650 and Nova, sorry for the implication that you were just smelling normal oil. I have to check. I have caught people asking simple questions before. If I had met you guys in person I probably would have known not to ask the simple question.

Nyroc vows to put a tech tip on this whenever someone reaches a difinitive answer. I just have noticed that no one in the US has ever had this problem when their had their fuel switched off. Nova says he switches it off and still gets fuel drippage.

I know for a fact that mine doesn't put fuel in my crankcase with my fuel switched off.

Old 06-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I smelled mine last night, and promptly changed it. I only had 250 miles since my last change, and it did have an odor to it. I never shut my fuel valve off but I think I will start.

Old 06-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

I only have 10 miles on my brand new prairie 650 , but I have NO gas smell in the oil. I always turn my fuel petcock off when I'm done riding.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have not had a problem with either 650 I have had but I have seen 2 that have had a lot of gas in the oil , a friend of mine started his up and it was blowing a gas/oil mixture out the exhaust pipe , he turned it off and checked the oil , the oil was running out the dip stick hole from so much gas , I saw another one that would not even turn over it has so much gas in the oil , it was locked tight , but after he changed the oil it smoked for a few hours and runs fine now , I have noticed my 03 - 650 seems to have a lot more pressure in the gas tank after it set than the 02 did , I believe they need to be vented better.

Old 06-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have really been watching my oil and everything was fine for the first 100 miles then at 200 I checked and my oil level was way over full,smelled like gas and the oil was actually thinned from all the gas in it!!!!! I was scared to start it so I just dumped the oil and changed it.It definately had a lot of gas in it.I always turn off the gas.Hasn't done it again but I'm sure worried about it!As far as I know it didnt come from Canada either(Tucson Az.) But I don't know how to tell.There is definately some problem to get that much fuel in the oil!

Quick Reply: P650 poll - everyone please look!