Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

I'm joining a local MX club, is my stock Vforce tough enough to handle the jumps? And mx track advice....

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 09:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm joining a local MX club, is my stock Vforce tough enough to handle the jumps? And mx track advice....

I have an orange Vforce, the only mods I have are the full MBRP exhaust on it's way, shock covers and I want an after market filter,I called K&N- not out yet. I do mostly trail riding, and Silver Lake Sand dunes. My two buddys just bought brand new Raptors, and made a small mx track. We tried it out Saturday, and I really liked the jumps. But I did notice quite a bit of bottoming out. The jumps were approximately 5 ft. tall, and kinda abrupt. Even after I nailed the technique and my landings were good, I still needed a shock adjustment, but haven't been able to do it. I lost the tool kit, Kawa. wants $90, so I am mising the wrenches to adjust my shocks. I assume they are set to two out of five at the stock setting by looking at them. 5 being the stiffest? The track I went to check out tonight is in Remus, Michigan 6 miles from my house. It is awesome, could easily be AMA track, 2 miles long, doubles, whoops and 15 ft. launch ramps on the table tops, we went through a drive through in his van and it is damn intimidating to say the least. Pretty advanced track, yet there are round about trails if you aren't skilled enough on the big jumps. The owner can clear the big table top on his 400EX, and it is huge! I won't be riding at that level for quite a while. Will my stock Vforce take this abuse o.k.? And how can I adjust the shocks, rear looks hard, and to what level should I adjust them? Thanks for any advice, the mx track riding is rather new, lots of dunes and trail experience. thanks for any advice.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Range Rover
Default I'm joining a local MX club, is my stock Vforce tough enough to handle the jumps? And mx track advice....

I took my V on a MX track for the 1st time last week and experienced the same thing-bottoming out! The thing about the tool kit is that you can't get the spanner wrench on the rear shock adjuster unless you 1st remove the shock. I was told that the best way to adjust the rear is to use a punch and hammer to turn the nut. I took mine off to adjust it and it helped with the bottoming out, but then it was real stiff riding trails. I only weigh #160 so you might have different luck depending on your weight.
On the front, you pretty much need the spanner wrench. The tallest setting(the one that compresses the spring the most) is the stiffest. I'm not sure what number that is. I have mine set at the lightest setting an have never bottomed out the front, just the back.

Old 06-19-2003, 08:10 AM
Trailblazer

Did your quad come with the front on the lightest setting, or did you change it to that way? I weigh 180, so how much did you change the rear shock? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Range Rover

The front came set at the stiffest setting, and I moved it.
The rear came set in the middle, and I softened it for trail riding.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

Are you sure? I wonder why mine are set so different? I was under the understanding that the more you compress the shocks, the stiffer the suspension. I looked at mine since your post and they are on the second setting in front, and if I were to put them to the high spot(which is actually lower in the shock adjustment) I think I would be softening them.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Range Rover

<FONT size=3>"The tallest setting(the one that compresses the spring the most) is the stiffest"

You are right,. the more you compress the spring, the stiffer the suspension.
Mine was super stiff from the factory.
Not sure if that is set by the factory or the dealer.

By the way, check out the post "help me with my idea for the kfx 700"

It appears that there are some diffrerences between the first 700's and those coming out now.</FONT>