Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

V-Force vs. Banshee vs. Raptor - My Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-Force vs. Banshee vs. Raptor - My Results

Originally posted by: Duneaddict
Cool!

Not being skeptical or anything, but what does a V-force weigh?
Anybody rode one in the dunes yet? with paddles? How'd it do? (One that's been tuned on anyway)
A dry V is about 515lbs and about 535 wet. I drove mine in the dunes (without paddles) so I dont really know how well it will do yet for hill shooting. I dont think it will do well against banshees for that, but should give 4 strokes a good challenge. My friend just bought a predator so when we get paddles we'll test stock vs stock on the dunes.

Old 06-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Talked to my buddy at the Polaris dealership today trying to get a part number for the purple. Its not a stock Polaris spring, it came from a Hotseat Performance clutch kit for a Sportsman 500. You may be able to call Hotseat and buy just the spring, but ANY spring in the 3" vicinity in length will be a huge improvement. The orange I experimented with is 3 1/2 inches long and is a little too radical for trail riding.

AAEN has a chart on his website with springs that should work well.

AAEN Performance

The blue/green is about the same as the stock Kawi spring 20/90. The yellow 40/190, brown 50/180 or green 60/200, should all be big improvements over stock. Make sure to get the length of the spring before buying and stay close or a little over 3".

Old 06-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

Here is a link to the spring chart from hotseat.

That purple spring that KevinM has is about the equivalent to the orange kawasaki spring from EPI. I only mentioned this because some people could get cornfused and go get any purple spring. EPI's purple spring is a lot stiffer than Hot seat's is. If anyone looks at both charts, you have to convert kg to lb to compare.

Old 06-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Guys,

I know you are getting bombarded with questions about the primary spring, but I wanted a little clarification if possible.

I ordered the brown spring from HOTSEAT based on recommendations from forum members. Do you think this spring will give me rideability as well as increased performance? Also, I do not want to hit the rev limiter when accelerating. At 20 bucks a pop, the trial and error approach can get expensive, so I hope this brown one from HOTSEAT was a good choice.

BTW, I took the stock spring out today and it measures 2-1/2" long and the "Polaris OEM" Brown spring is supposed to be 3.06" long according to a local dealer's book. I hope the HOTSEAT springs are actually Polaris OEM stuff....

So to get to the point, will the brown spring work or not?

Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

That is a lot more aggressive than the puple spring KevinM is using. Did other people actually recommend the brown one from hotseat specifically?

Note that he said in a later post that his spring came from hotseat. Kevin, you might want to go edit your first post.

Homedawg, let everyone know if you like the brown spring.

Old 06-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Hey KevinM and nyroc...

I just wanted to say thank you to you both for providing such valuable information to the rest of us

who want to get the most out of our machines. Its refreshing to see that there are people in this world

willing to go out of their way to help others out the way that you two have. Before I shead any more tears

of joy, I'm going to order that spring and KICK SOME YAMAHA A$$[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]:[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

KevinM-

That's cool that you beat the Raptor. A couple questions.

1) Does he have any airbox mods? Suspension mods? Tires? Anything else?

2) How is he shifting? Is he letting off the gas, pulling the cluch, shifting, letting the clutch out, then getting back on the gas?

I think I have alot more mods on my Raptor that lets it accelerate faster than the one you raced. I have a carb, CDI, Razr2 tires, custom aluminum airbox. Those all help me go faster in drag race. Also I have Elka SSD shocks and a lowering kit that lets it set much lower so it doesn't wheelie off the line. Maybe that's why I beat the VForce 700 that I raced. Or maybe he doesn't have the purple spring. Next time I see him I will ask if he has changed springs. Would you say the purple is OK for all around riding?

Later,

RR1

Old 06-25-2003, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

RR1, he has basically the same setup as I do except he has a UNI and I have the stock filter with 1" univents in the airbox.
I was too busy making sure I had room to get stopped to watch him, but he's a good enough rider to know what he's doing.

My point was not to put down the Raptor or Banshee, but to show the V-Force owners what the 700 is capable of. I constantly see posts saying "I raced a Raptor, DS, Predator, etc. and was ahead for 150 yards then he blew right by me." You've got a 700 twin that can turn some serious RPM's being held back by a spring that causes shiftout to be at a point much lower than what it needs to be. Imagine a rev limiter on your Raptor that forced you to shift 1500 RPM's before you wanted to. The 700 has so much torque it doesn't need the high RPM's down low, but once it gets going it most definitely needs more on top, especially when you add a good set of duals. As you can see, mine pulls hard enough on top to keep a 6-speed Banshee from catching up. With the stock spring and stock exhaust, he passed me like I was in reverse as soon as he hit 6th. I'd feel pretty certain in saying the guy you raced doesn't have a clue about how to clutch the V, and as bad as you beat him he may not have it jetted right either.

Homedawg, if the brown spring you get is the actual Polaris brown rated at 50/180 it should work very well with the stock weights. You want as stiff a spring as possible without getting so much initial stall that it becomes jerky and hard to ride.

Old 06-25-2003, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

KevinM,

First let me say that I have really learned a lot from you and Nyroc's posts. Thanks a million for taking the time to share the information.

I bought the spring that HOTSEAT listed under the "Polaris OEM Primary Clutch Springs" section. I sucessfully removed mine today just to see how hard it was to do. Took all of ten minutes. I have to admit that if you guys had not told me about the left handed thread on the center bolt, I would have probably broken my damn neck trying to get it off.

As soon as the spring arrives I will test it and give you guys a report.

BTW....When I rode my V last weekend, I metup with a guy on a new stock Raptor. We traded for a little while letting each other sample the other guy's bikes. I liked the Raptor's power but not the size (Im a big feller). After he rode my V, I asked him what he thought about it and all he said was "Damn, this thing has a lot of torque". Hope I see him again after getting my Alien Duals and spring.

Thanks again for the great posts. I would love for someone to record thier duals and post a sound file for the rest of us who are too poor from buying the V to aford any mods just yet.

Old 06-25-2003, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

I have the green sping from hot seat and I did not like it and this spring is weaker than the brown everyone is talking about. the spring is over three inches and when it is compessed down to the size needed to fit in the V it is alot stonger than what the chart says. It engages hard and makes a thumping noise when the clutch disengages, very anoying. this sping engages hard not just some more rpm it will give you a tug befor it moves.I dont mind more rpm to get moveing it just should engage smooth.maybe this is not possible

I belive what is needed is a sping with 2.5" length with these ratings. the polaris springs are to long in my opinion. Some one needs to make a variable rate sping for us.

NYRoc you live close to me if you want stop over tommorow and i will show you what i mean, i will put the sping back in so you can try it for yourself you can do a before and after and let everyone know what you think. your opinion goes along way in here mine does not.

Quick Reply: V-Force vs. Banshee vs. Raptor - My Results