Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

pred or a kfx 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pred or a kfx 400

im not sure what i want but i have been looking up alot of stuff about them. i want to start raceing and i know the pred is more race ready but i do plan on rideing alot around in the woods and rideing for long amount of times so thats y i thought i should get the 400. Are 400's that far off from being a race atv or do u need to mod it. i dont have a problem with puting a pipe on it thanks. oh yeah when do u think the 04 will come out i like the orange alot

Old 06-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

eeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuu , thats a hard one , I could not be able to decide between the 2 and I have never riden the pred.

Old 06-26-2003, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

well do u know when the 04 comes out

Old 06-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure when the 04 comes out but it should be close. I think the kawi is more what you're looking for. I mean if you're going to be in the woods more I would want the reverse and the predator would be a little heavy to push around, well not much harder to push than a z but you don't have to push the z because it has reverse. If you are going to racing more, and I'd say once you start you'll want to race more and more, then think about the yamaha yfz. Look at all these post on here about it. It's the most talked about atv I've seen on here and most is very positive news. You can even see a video of one in action if you go to the yamaha forum and one of the posts says something about a yfz and you can go in there and see a video. Let me tell you it looked like one of the best racing quads I've ever seen. They had two pros jumping and cornering them and they handled awesome. So if it's trail first get a kawi, then maybe a yfz, and a predator. Also a raptor might be a better choice or at least tied with the kawi or z400 for trails. For racing I would go yfz450, modded kawi400 or stock predator, or a modded honda 400ex. If you don't want to get new suspension and gussett your frame stronger and have some motor work, I wouldn't think the kawi400 or suzuki400 would last to long with the jumping and stuff. If you go around the jumps then you should be fine but you'll loose ground on a mx track by going around jumps. I've seen a few predator frames cracking on here lately, not many but a few so no quad is going to take the rigors of racing without some damage eventually. The yfz450 yamaha hasn't shown how it'll hold up yet but I think that yamaha has done their homework and this quad is ready for the rough stuff. The yfz doesn't have reverse but with the kickstart it doesn't weigh much more than 350lbs so pushing it wouldn't be very hard. I'm sure someone else will give you some advice, just try to test ride any quad you think you want to compare how you like them. Good luck and God bless.

Old 06-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider
Location: South Central Illinois, NO where near Chicago, that's not my Illinois

I like Polaris's and have owned three of them, but go with the KFX 400. Two things I'll never buy another quad without: 1) electric start, 2) reverse.
I've ridden them both and unless your going in a straight line, the better rider is going to win a race between the two, they are both very nice quads.

Old 06-28-2003, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

hEY I CAN ANWSER THE RELEASE DATE ON THE 04'S....I WAS WANTING THE ORANGE 04 KFX 400 AND MY DEALAER CALLED IN AND KWI SAID MID SEPTEMBER IS THE SOONEST THEY WILL BE SENDING THEM OUT TO DEALERS! ALSO SAME WITH 04 GREEN ONES! SO I AM GONNA GET A 03' GREEN BECAUSE I JSU CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER...HEHE! I AM GLAD I COULD HELP YA! ALSO WHAT PIPE SHOULD I GET FOR MY KFX?

Old 06-28-2003, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

From my personal experience and also what I've read. What pipe you get really doesn't matter that much they all put out almost the same numbers. You'll probably get about 3 or 4 hp out of most of the pipes and if you remove the air box lid and jet it. I don't ride mine with the airbox lid off through mud and creeks. Some of the more expensive titanium pipes are considerably lighter so that's a plus except for the price. If your strapped for cash get a cheaper pipe and you'll achieve similar hp numbers but you'll just be a little heavier. I also just like the looks of some pipes better. I personally am getting a FMF fatty for around $200. Eventually, I'm getting someone to bore and stroke my motor, but that'll be later when one of my buddies is able to afford a yfz450 yamaha.

Old 06-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Go sit on them both, and take each for a spin...they better let you. Then go from there. Lot's of great choices out right now, hard decision, but a fun one. Both are relatively new so the aftermarket is still gearing up for them.

Old 07-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

well i got a kfx 400 june the 27th and had to go on vacation for a week. ibought the FMF titanium 4 exhaust with the FMF bomb header, also the team alba airflow kit with the K&N and he outer wears kit, also the team alba jet kit. i hope it will be in soon so i can get to riding.