Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

HILL climbing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HILL climbing

Hi all, I have 2 friends with raptors and they climb this hill on the strip job that Ive never seen any one else climb. It is super lose dirt about 200 yds long and SUPER STEEP!!! They have to hit it wide open in 2nd gear to make it to the top of it. My queastion is do you all think a P650 with mud lites could climb a hill like this? They have been trying to get me to hit it but I dont think i can make it. any sugestions?

Old 07-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

I have climbed some pretty good hills, that others have not been able to, w/ my P650 w/ 26" Mudlites. Give it a try in 4wd high. Hammer the throttle and keep your weight forward when the going gets steep. If things get hairy, back off. Just remember that if you have to back down, stay off the back brake! Let the fronts do the work and remember that if push comes to shove, you can usually ride it out backwards as long as you keep her straight. The only time I have ever rolled a quad backing down a hill was when I got nervous, hit the back brakes and the quad came around sideways and then rolled.

Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

I had a Z400 and it would climb hills very good, just like a raptor probably. I have hills that you must have pinned in 2nd gear too and some where 3rd is more desireable. I tackle these hills with my P650 with no trouble at all, just put the quad in High 4x4 and get a good run at it and keep it pinned. If the quad starts to spin down and you loose momentum then just let it spin down, the holes you dig will stop you from rolling backwards. Then you get off the quad on the quad and move it by hand so it faces down hill somewhat and then drive it down. Or if your a more experienced rider you can turn on the hill at the first sign of trouble without getting off the quad.

Also wear a helmet when you try this, we don't want you hurt.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default HILL climbing

I dont me to be rude or come off rude> I say this if you have to come to this forum and ask if you can climb a hill dont do it. If it makes you question your ability then dont do it. It may not be worth it to you.

Old 07-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

I agree that if you need to ask people who have never seen you ride if you can do something is a bit off. No one on this forum can tell you whether or not to do it because we don't know your skill level or the hill. I would advise against it. My wife tried a hill that was too steep for her and now has five ruptured discs in her back and will not be riding again this year or maybe never. If you feel that it is above your riding abilities, then stick with your instinct and stay off the hill. A 600 pound quad landing on you is not something to take lightly.

Old 07-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

Its noy my abilaty level im queastioning, I climbed this hill on one of there raptors.. Its the prairies ability im queastioning... Im just not sure how it will act on this hill, With it being over 600lbs it seems like it might dig in instead of shooting straght up the hill like the raptors do. I was just wondering if some of you more experance hill climbers think that the "ATV" can handle a hill like I described. If the prairie can climb it I wont have any problem

Old 07-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

Originally posted by: ky300exrider
I dont me to be rude or come off rude> I say this if you have to come to this forum and ask if you can climb a hill dont do it. If it makes you question your ability then dont do it. It may not be worth it to you.
Sorry , but I thought that was kinda rude , I have learned more from the minds of the connection then I ever have from anyone I ride with.
I think his question was what these forums are all about .

Old 07-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default HILL climbing

Tommyboy, one of my friends flipped his raptor backwards on a hill, then i made it up like it was a jokeon my prairie. Just squeeze the differential put it in low gear and get momentum. I suggest putting your feet on the rear rackso you can lean foward more and can jump off to the front if you start to flip, so it doesn't land on you. Let me know if you made it if you decide to give it a try. Good Luck!

Old 07-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

You don't need to question the ability of the Prairie to climb a hill, you can keep the front end down on it much much easier than on a Raptor. Put it in 4X4, pull the yellow lever and go. I find wiht the CVT that it usually is gaining speed as you go up a hill and all of the torque will pull you right on up. If you do have a mishap, I would not likely blame it on the Prairie

Old 07-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default HILL climbing

Don't ever back down a hill. Don't listen to the stuff about keep it straight. The slightest mess up and you are going over on a steep hill. If the hill is not wide enough to do a u-turn, then don't bother with it, especially if you are not convinced the Prairie could make it.

Ask yourself if that hill is worth your life or a $7000 machine.

Quick Reply: HILL climbing