Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help - P650 missing at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - P650 missing at low RPM

STAKK...we talked about this a while back.I have been unable to get back to the dealer so I wanted to make sure I clear this up.That number you posted I took to the dealer and they said it was a cable assembly if I remember right.Did you have to buy the whole assy to get the springs? If I remember right it was about $21.00..........does that sound right?
02 650 camo

Old 09-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

I've had the same problem on both of my 650's but with 2 different fixes. The first quad would never idle properly right from day 1 but it did not backfire.. I finally took it in and had the choke springs replaced and it runs great now. My other machine always ran good at idle and all of a sudden during a ride it started popping, backfiring and would not hold idle. As I had just adjusted the valves prior to the run, I suspected this was the problem. But as was I was trying to adjust the mixture I noticed the rubber piece on the intake manifold's vacuum valve was missing creating a vacuum leak. I believe this where you would hook up to when balancing the carbs. Anyways I made a new rubber piece to fit on it and the engine now runs great as before. Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

bobbyclobber is this the little vacuume hose underneith in the center of the airbox? I am not sure of which line you are talking about. I have never used the choke would you still think this could be the problem.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

kodiak, The cable itself, in my opinion won't completely cure it, for whatever reason they don't come with new springs anymore, when you work the choke and my new 700 is the same way it's as if there is no springs in there at all ,no pressure whatsoever, the springs are too weak to push the plunger's back down into their seat, so the choke is sticking open a little all the time, my gas mileage is terrible and i have a slight "bog" down at about 1/8 th inch throttle, when I turn the choke on a little it will almost kill the bike so i know it's sticking, Why Kaw insists on these flimsy springs is beyond me...The 92081-1720 spring's are out of a KLR Kaw dirt bike, they are longer and tighter coil's , I put them on my old 650 and you could feel some pressure when you choked it then, get the cable AND make them put these springs in you need two of them, if the choke IS sticking this should fix it.....

Old 09-02-2003, 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

Hey MX700: the valve I am talking about is located on the intake manifold directly below the carb (front one in my case). It is the only valve on the manifold. The rubber piece looks like it is removed when you want to connect a vacuum gauge or a carb balancing tool that uses the vacuum. When it was off my engine was backfiring really bad when I let off the gas, and would not hold idle. I removed the airbox and ran it and there was popping coming up from the front carb.

As for my choke spring problem when I talked to the tech he mentioned he had repaired about 50% of the 650's that were bought from his dealer. The spring he installed was about twice as long as the original and made a huge difference. The machine purrs now all the time even in a wet condition where before it would definitely stall. The choke is also harder to move due to the tighter spring. Total time charged for the work was only 1 hour. I also asked if Kawasaki recognised this problem. He said that Kawie Japan does not but that Kawie Canada does unoffically, which I think means if you contact them for some compensation you might get lucky.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Ok STAKK..........I really am not trying to be a pain in the butt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] but if I ask for just any year KLR dirt bike this number should work.My dealer is not alot of help.When the going gets tough they definitely bail.Thanks

Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not even sure what model KLR those springs are off of, all they have to do is ORDER THAT number::: 92081-1720 from the warehouse and that's it,it's a Kaw part number, also everthing is on the computer now they should just type it in and it will tell them what it is off of, it shouldn't matter, they can order that number, they don't need anymore info than the part number????Why are they giving you a hard time? TELL THEM THEY DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING BUT THIS PART NUMBER, WHO care's what it's off of, It's real simple, some dealer's I read about on here really **** me off......