Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Big Gun Exhaust---won't honor warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Gun Exhaust---won't honor warranty

Anyone thinking about buying aftermarket exhaust, I would not recommend Big Gun Exhaust. Me and my buddy both bought 650's and had Big Gun Exhaust put on at the dealership. Both of ours are about 3 months old and started leaking. The dealership sent them back, and the service manager called me today and said Big Gun would not honor their 6 month warranty because the muffler had some mud baked on it. I told the dealer I did not buy it to ride on the highway. They said they would replace the rivets, but we would have to pay the get the muffler repacked. The dealer then told me they started using another brand of exhaust. I feel like Big Gun should have honored their "6" month warranty.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone on this forum heard of similar leakage/durability problems with the Mike Penland Signature Series Big Gun Exhaust for the P650? Just thought I'd ask before I buy one.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

I have the Penlands Big Gun and I just got off the phone yesterday with Mike Penland and he gave me the number to Big Gun because the rivots at the back where the pipe comes in are all loose and the holes are egged out! I called big gun and was told the same as above, they told me that the packing may be burning out allowing the housing to vibrate and work the rivots loose but if I send it in they will repack it and put a band around the housing and re rivot it at a low cost!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMMM! Whats that tell ya??????????? I'm looking into a totally different exhaust system but will be sending the Big Gun in and let them repair it but I will NEVER have it on my machine again for 2 reasons, it is falling apart after less than 600 miles of riding and also it only added about 2.5 hp which is wasy less than the HMF, Pro Circuit, or several others which produce on an average of 5 plus HP!!!!!!!!!! Watch ebay because there will be a Big Gun for a Prairie on there as soon as I get it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 07-10-2003, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have also heard this about Big Gun pipes on other model atvs. If i was going to buy a pipe for the P650 and didnt want to wait on the new White Bros pipe coming out I would get the HMF.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

I couldn't be happier with my MBRP's, fit and finish was excellent. I'm not sure if they make for the Prairie though.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, i will cross that pipe off my list.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer

I told the dealer to tell Big Gun to send the pipe back if that was the best warranty they had, and that I would tell everyone I could how sorry Big Gun and their warranty is. Both of our exhausts started leaking at about 250-300 miles on them. At first the rivets started coming loose, then they started leaking where it connected to the factory pipe. Big Gun said the packing needed replacing in both of our pipes. That was a lot of money for a pipe to last 3 months. I put the pipe on before I found this site. I have since done nyroc's mod on my exhaust and couldn't be happier.

Old 07-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

Bjones,

How does the Nyroc mod you gave your stock pipe compare to the Big Gun Pipe you had? Is the Nyroc mod louder/quiter than the Big Gun? Does it seem to have more/less power gains than the Big Gun?

Old 07-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

How many hours did you have on your pipe before it started leaking? I have 50+ hrs on mine, no problems that i know of. To see if its leaking just put your hand by the rivets?
thanks

Old 07-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

I can't tell a difference in power, nyroc's mod is just as fast as the Big Gun. I drilled six 7/16 holes and it is a little louder that the Big Gun. I have heard 3/8 holes are as loud a stock grizzly. I did not think mine would that loud, but it sounds good. It will be a little loud to hunt on. The people on this website are excellent to help with any problems or questions. The dealer was telling me is was a major ordeal to change the belt. I found this site and learned all kinds of things. I put on the black spring and told the dealer how easy it was to remove the belt and add the spring. He looked shocked and wanted to know where I found the information, and he did not know about the black spring. He said the belt deflection "could not" be adjusted without kawasaki's special tool.

Quick Reply: Big Gun Exhaust---won't honor warranty