Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

leaking coolant... help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking coolant... help!!!

i ws trail riding yesterda and my display said my motor was hot so i shut it off . my friend then pulle up to me and he pointed to my left underneith fender. i looked and coolant was shooting out. i let the machine cool down put more water in the reserve tank (i only had a hose where i was no coolant) it ran fine but it did the same thing about 10 minutes later. the fan would not shut off and i started to get worried. i took it home and pulled the mud gards off and here is a tube that is just there that and leads to nothing. it looks to me that it is the overflow tube so i ran it for about 2 minutes and the fluid started cominout of it. this makes no sence to me because it completly drains my reserve tank andmost of my radiator. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Trailblazer

You may have a bad radiator cap,or a leak somewhere, where you are losing pressure, making the temp rise and causing it to boil over.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

If the overflow tube is coming from the resevour, most likely either your radiator cap is not fully tight ( if you loosened it when you added water, it can be difficult to fully tighten ), or your radiator cap is bad, or your ( stupid plastic ) top section ( radiator fill section ) has warped, from getting too hot ( most often the carb coolant filter line melts before the radiator fill section )... if any of these conditions exist, water will flow out of your radiator, but won't return as you engine cools ( it sucks air instead )... most likely your radiator was plugged enough to create the hot condition in the first place... I've had the radiator get hot, even when it "looked" clean though the grill... on mine, most often the fins are plugged in the center, from mud, or trail dust collecting in the wet fins after going through puddles... I hope its your cap, the fill section can be costly to replace...Good Luck...WAM

Old 07-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

wash the mud out of the radiator and refill the system, your radiator probably looks like a brownie[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Also, the coolant fill neck gets distorted and water leaks back to the bottle that way. If this happens, vapor builds up and engine gets hot.

Could be that fill neck.