Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

your worst crash???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your worst crash???

Back in my two wheel days I thought I was wheely master...problem was I had just bought a yamaha 465 two stroker, after owning a kdx200. We were going swimming and crusing down this old asphalt road(16 grit at best) when I thought I'd pull off a good one with this newer bike....the powerband was wicked on that bike, pitched me off at about 25-30mph and launched my bike into a fence, had a hole on my right elbow that went to the bone(about the size of a golf ball). Luckily I had my helmet on, that took the worst beating...thank God. The thing that sucked the most was both my parents were at work and we couldn't get ahold of them so I wouldn't be admitted to the hospital for stitches Had to stuff a washcloth in/on my elbow for a few hours until my mom got home from work. Fixed the 465 up and sold it....been on four wheels ever sience.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-31-2003, 01:39 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

I haven’t crashed a quad yet (in nearly 4 years of riding) except for a slow roll over once on a ’99 Griz when I was on an off-camber trail and then while plodding slowly along my downhill wheels went into a deep leaf filled rut (that didn’t look like a rut until you were in it) which tilted it enough to send it past the point of no return. It rolled sideways down hill 1 ¾ revolutions and wedged against a tree.

Never had a crash on a dirt bike (other than simple slow tip overs or spin-outs) in about 30 years of riding.

Probably my funniest off-road incident happened while riding my ’75 Gold Wing. I was leading a group of adventurous bikers down the Blue Ridge Parkway. We started our trip after work, it was dark by the time we made the parkway. I was looking for the same dirt side road to camp out on where we did a few years before. I turned on what I thought was it until the road started getting rough and steep and decided it wasn’t the right one. As soon as it leveled off I stopped to assess the situation. I was riding in the left wheel track at the time. When I put my left foot down there was no bottom (like I said, it was dark so I couldn’t see the ground). Next thing I know I was tumbling down a 5 foot drop-off with the Gold Wing following. The Gold Wing ended up completely upside down, wheels pointing straight up, being held in place by all the vines and honeysuckle that was growing on the side of the bank. Luckily we were a party of 4, and one member of the group was built like Arnold Schwarzenegger. It took all the strength we could muster to lift that 680 pound beast up back to road level and rubber side down. After recomposing ourselves (and all the laughing stopped) we turned around, headed back down the mountain and ended up camping near the end of the road close to the parkway junction.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:54 AM
Range Rover

Back in the early 90's I was riding with my buddy , I was on a 250 and he was on a QuadZilla. We went to his family owned gravel pit. We got there around 4pm and the place was open, trucks were coming and going. We Parked our trailer out front and drove in through the main entrance. you had to drive over some railroad tracks and between 2 metal poles to get in. We rode around for 2 or 3 hours and were on our way out to go home. The place was deserted by then and as expected he was haulin *** in 5th full speed toward the entranceway. I was way behind choking on his cloud of dust going full out just tryin to keep up. Could barely see a thing. It turns out when they close the place they hang a 4 inch thick chain between the 2 poles. He was so far ahead of me he had time to slow down and drove around the side of the poles. It was my first time there and I had no idea they put a chain up. I was expecting to just hammer through, jump over the railroad tracks and slow down in the parking lot. Well I emerged from the cloud of dust at full speed and there 10 feet in front of me was the chain, I was at full speed. Locked it up and got a little sideways to the right. I decided to bail and jumped off the quad at the last second, I flew through the air and actually did a front flip cleared the railroad tracks, landed in the gravel about 30 feet away tucked and rolled and got up with out so much as a scratch on me. I look at my quad, its upside down on top of the tracks, front right tire flat, bent rim, bent control arm, bent tie rod and bent frame all scratched up bent bars... And there is my friend sitting on his quad with his mouth wide open just freakin speachless. From that day on, after he told all our friends what happend they all used to call me Superman. I can still remember that 1 or 2 seconds I had before impact. OMG OMG OMG IM GONNA CRASH!!!!
And I am serious I flipped in the air and landed basicly on my head and did not even have 1 little scratch or bruise on me. On the other hand, my quad was totalled.
I have had about 5 near death experiences on a Bomb Formula III snowmobile. I even had a huge tree fall on my 79 Camaro while driving down the road in a thunder storm. It landed right in front of my windshield, and bounced over my head and landed on the trunk lid. The car was dragging the frame on the ground in the front and the rear. If it landed on the roof I would have been 1 foot tall.
Oh and 175mph on a Hayabusa is a near death experience in itself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I really should be dead right now hehe...

Old 07-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Wife's worst crash...we like to go to the DNR trails in the bluffs along the Mississippi river between Minnesota, & Wisconsin... since we all have different riding styles & speeds, when riding in groups, we all ride as fast as we want, & stop every time we come to an intersection, to regroup... as I race, most of the time I lead... I had gotten to an intersection, & waited & waited... no one was coming, so I turned around & went back... we had just come through a section that had a hair pin corner on it & doubled back along another section of trail... Dan, the guy behind me had noticed that none of the other quads were coming, as he went along this section, so he had stopped... it turns out that my wife learned that you can't stop or turn while in the air... Dan's son was following my wife, & got to see the whole thing... turns out that she had gone over & jump, wasn't squared up, & came down on the very edge of the trail, the hill we were on sucked her down off the trail, & she T - Boned a tree about 30 - 35 mph, flipping over the handle bars, turning a somersalt in the air, & landed squarly on her butt... she hit her knee on the handle bars, hard enough to bend them, & get a good bruise, ripped her jeans, but was otherwise ok... the quad was a different story... she hit the tree in the center, so the a arms were ok, but had pushed the headlight assembly, clear back to the handle bars, on our 300 Prairie... the impact missed the oil cooler by inches... she was a little shakey after that, but rode my 650 Prairie back to the parking area, I was able to drive the 300 back out, & aside from the quite bent handle bars, most of the damage was cosmetic... the problem was we had a mud bog the following weekend, so I had 1 week to fabricate a whole new aluminum front end, before the mud bog...

My worst crash... I was in a hair scramble race in Fort Dodge Iowa ( my first since I had made major modifications to my 650 Prairie ) on the 1st lap of a 90 minute race, I was doing pretty good, & had caught up to the 2 wd quads that had started before me... we came up to a fairly long & steep hill... some of the 2 X 4's must have started up the hill in too high a gear, as they were jammed up at the top...I came to a stop 3/4 of the way up the hill... the KFX 700 in front of me, pulled out to pass the bunched up quads on the side, & I followed suit... perhaps it was the newly installed Hole Shot module, the excitement of the race, or ???, but I cracked the throttle, & rolled end over end, part way down the hill... the quad had thrown me, so I was laying on my back, & got to watch the heavy beast roll towards me, I put my legs up to absorb the pounding I was going to get when it landed on me... when it came to a stop, it was right side up, but fully on top of me... it took 3 - 4 guys to pull it off me... after 5 - 10 minutes to get my nerve back, & inspect my self & my quad, I was able to restart & finish the race... although I bit the handle bars several times on the double jumps... I didn't have the guts to race competitively for the balance of the race, but was able to finish... was glad I had just purchased a pair of riding boots, as my lower legs would have been really scraped up... I only endded up with a big scrape on my left arm, & a small scrape on my leg, above my riding boots

hope you found these entertaining... wear your safety gear... we had just been casual riding, & not wearing helmets, but had decided that we were running the trails too fast, & had started wearing helmets the week that my wife hit the tree...Have A Good One...WAM

Old 08-01-2003, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

Come on guys, I know that there has to be more crash stories out there than what I got posted up here. I know that bobwire had to hurt. Its bad enough working with the crap and getting slapped by it. I wouldn't want to know what it felt like to bounce off a bunch of it from a quad.

Old 08-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

damn.. luckily i havent wrecked yet, im too careful cause i know im riding on nearly 7k<what i got ripped out of>, my old suzuki ts100, though, haha... i've only flew off that going up too steep of a hill, gas'ed it a bit too much and the bike flew up, i brought it down right in time but jumped away cause i knew i couldnt hold it up there.. luckily though, it was nothing big except some bent bars.. woohoo.