Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Any info on CDI box KFX-700?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on CDI box KFX-700?

Originally posted by: alltoys
The only other motor in the world and I mean the world is the Ducati sport machine V-twin. The company that produces the cdi for the Ducati would you believe also produces the cdi for the Kawi 650 V-twin imagine that.

Well that has to be Mitsubishi. Their emblem is right on the P650 CDI.

Old 08-01-2003, 06:51 AM
Trailblazer

Alltoys,

Scott did reply to me on my request for information. See below...

Dear Del,

Thank you for your interest in Dynatek ignitions. Unfortunately, we do not offer an ignition system for this model and there is no schedule at this time. If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Sincerely,

Scott Valentine
Dynatek Customer Service
No joy here.....

Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

KOD,
Mitsubishi is right the cdi is dedicated chip in that it is specific to quads and motor cycles running functions. In other words to rebuild a cdi to copy what the cdi does it would be 5 times larger which means the price would sky rocket and would not fit under the seat anymore. Average cost would be in the 2000 range and not programable still useless. That is why DG, MSD and Dyna haveing such a hard time to update the cdi on the Kawi as it controls so many functions. On sport machines all there is, is basic ignition and so it is easier to replace ( not so many functions ). Will there be a programable cdi,...........eventually but it will be a major undertaking by a dedicated ignition company. Things have to be changed on the 700 and 650 for that matter like the pickups, the coils, and the all impotant ignition. This is not an easy task and it will not be a plug and play system as the total advance is only 28 degrees this is what the 650 - 700 has. To be in the speed catagory we will need 36-38 degrees advance with total advance at 2500 rpm. Can you see where I am going with this.

Mdfoot,
I wish I new more about electronics as I have been working on the ignition problem for a year now and if I new how to make a programable cdi I would do it trust me. Thanks for the vote of confidence soon as I get a solid base I will let everyone know keep watching.

Delmustator,
You see what we are up against I think these companys are going about it all wrong but they are the top dogs and wont listen to a backyard tinkerer. I have been told it is impossible to do but I haven't given up yet we need to get back to basics Keep It Simple Stupid that is pretty much it.

Old 08-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think we need to sneak into kawies HQ and "borrow" there 1st ignition for the 650 and see how it works. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]