Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Picked up my New P650 today. I have Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my New P650 today. I have Questions?

First - This thing steers like my Kodiak did in 4 wheel drive. I says it's in 2wd but don't feel like it. The tires psi's are as recommended. The dash says 2wd. How do I confirm it is indeed in 2wd?

Second - It smells funny, kinda like the belt may be hot. I have not rode it much, just slowly around the yard with a few short 1\4 throttle bursts. I seen a tiny little bit of smoke comming from the right side of the motor compartment.

Third - Talk to me about the engine braking servo and the noise. Going slow around the lawn it runs a little when I slow, go or stop.

Talk to me boys! Am I ok? Is this break in stuff?

Old 08-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds normal ..... the two wheel test I use is, hold the front brakes tight, nail it , the rear wheels will spin like a drag machine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
(do this where you don't care about the grass, cause there isn't going to be any left !)

Old 08-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Steering will be a little stiff until everything break's in, also if the tires are stock, about 6 psi in the front will make it steer easy, the smell is the engine coating burning off, it should go away after the first ride, run about 5 psi in the rear tire 6 in the front.....do and oil and differential change at about 60-100 miles, everything should start to loosen up after about 150-200 miles.......

Old 08-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

First - do what Stakk said w/the air pressure. Use synthetic oil (mobile v-twin synthetic) in the front diff to help the steering loosen up even more.

Second - the engine paint burns off. But, before you going burning your belt up early, ALWAYS drive in low range if possible. Don't drive in high going slow if all all possible. You will be in the shop to fix your slipping belt in a hurry. A slipping belt wears the pulleys out in a hurry. Most of us install the black EPI driven spring to make the belt last longer, never slip and produce less heat. It makes the low end response better and reduces the higher speed acceleration a little. May take a few mph off top speed too. But it saves the belt. Must keep belt adjusted tight too. All this I have said is very simple stuff you can do yourself in your garage with common tools.

Third - yes, that KEBC only does it's thing going slow. It is actuall not good for a cvt to go that slow all the time. I do hope you plan to get out on a trail. Don't let the kids ride the 650 slow. Sometimes kids ride them in a bad way for a cvt. They go a foot, then another foot, then another foot. You wind up getting 1/16 of the belt life you thought you were going to get. Keep the kids off the 650 if you can. Make sure everyone that rides it rides in low range.