Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What's top speed for 650 Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's top speed for 650 Stock?

Hey Everyone..! I'm new to this forum and I find it has a wealth of info.. You guys seem to know your stuff and been around the block a little (joking) .. I especially like Nyrocs site too.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway I just bought 02 Kvf 650 left over.. So far I love this Bike.. It's my first Quad and I think I will hang onto it for a long while.. I do have a few questions though.. I've already done my first service and have about 26 hrs on the bike about 180kms on it.. When should the bike be broken in? I've been pretty easy on it and breaking it in gradually..
What roughly is the top speed for this bike stock? I had it about 87km topped out in high range 2wd... Iwas wondering because I read a couple posts where guys were getting 105km to 115km... Will this bike get better as it breaks in more? Or am I doing something wrong? Anybody have suggestions? Thanks alot and keep up the good job on the Forum..!

Old 08-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

If you have 26 hours on it, you can let 'er rip. Ten hours is the break-in period and that's when you are supposed to be easy on it. I don't know in kmh/hr, but I've had two and they are roughly around 65 mph

Old 08-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hi and Welcome!
I am a new P650 owner also. Mine is an 03. Mine is now hitting 64 mph with HoleShot ATR Tires and I run out of road.
I'll run down what I have learned here so far.
The manual reads "No more than 1/2 throttle for first 10 hours". Then change the engine and both differential fluids. Don't ride with your buddies because you will be tempted to run it harder than the break in.
Yes it will loosen up and get faster. I have 60 miles & 10 hours and it's better every time I ride it.
Hard starting or cold natured? Stakk informed me about the factory pilot jet settings being too lean. I did as he suggested and now if fires up and idles clean from a cold start with no choke. Turn the screws in and then back them out 2.5 turns. I found mine @ 1.75. I think it pulls better off the line too. See pics of location of pilot screws here;
Jetting
You have to remove the rubber boot.
Hard to steer at slow speeds? I set my Toe-in @ ZERO and it was like adding power steering.
Alingment
Just my opinion here but, if you are not a serious mudder get the ITP HoleShot ATR tires.
Other than the Pilot Jets, here are some things I had to do on mine. Yours may not need what mine did.
The choke was usless. The lever had more than 50% of its travel before pulling on the cable. The adjuster was bottomed out at the the loosest end of the adjuster. I adjusted it. It's in the manual.
The Front Differential lock lever was loose also. It calls for 7 Lbs. at about 1.0 inch from the grip. Use a fish scale. Mine was @ 4 Lbs. I adjusted it. It's in the manual.
These adjustments are under the front handle bar cover. It (the cover) removes and installs pretty easily.
Oh! Get this! The seat. It will install incorrectly and seem like it's OK. It will latch at first. You will know it when riding because it will un-latch. But if you trailer it, it may un-latch and blow off!
There are 2 tounges that go in slots under the seat. The center one is the one over looked. I place the seat on the bike with the rear portion just up on the back rack tube and gently slide it forward dropping it off the rack and it seems to work everytime. Before I push it down to latch it I pull up on the rear of seat and it will bend making a wrinkle in the cover in the center of the seat. If not the whole seat will raise.

Good Luck

Old 08-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

i have itp mudlites and c-series rims on my prairie and my top speed is 63 mph. downhill i might get a few more mph. after i broke her in and with the stock dunflops i topped out at 66 mph. so i lost a few mph with the mudlites but it was worth it. i need to put a pipe and jet kit on it so i can gain back a few more mph. i definitely think she has gained speed since new. you are plenty broken in with 26 hours on it. let her ripppp!!!!!

Old 08-18-2003, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Hi guys... Thanks for the input on the 650.. I hope it gradually gets quicker over time.. Like I said I top out at about 54 mph on straight stretch of gravel road.. Maybe some mods are in order!! I wonder if my thottle cable is adjusted properly? Is there any ajustment?

jwkawi.. How do you like the plow on your Prairie? Does it work good with the Manual lift..? I want to get one for mine this winter because we get alot of snow in my area.. Parts Manager at the dealer said the 650 could plow 3ft of snow easy with a 60" Blade?

therock.. I'll try some of those adjustments and see how it works.. Thanx again..

Old 08-19-2003, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

tyrann... the plow works great. the manual lift is easy and faster than electric means. the only complaint i had was the mounts are an inconvenience to remove and install if i want to go trail riding after i plow. not that big of a deal, takes about 15 minutes or so, just a pain in the a$$. if i leave the mounts on they stick down a little and run a risk of getting banged up if i hit a rock or something like that. other than that, i have the 48" and i had no problem with 2 feet of snow last winter so i suppose a 60" could handle 3 feet. lots of fun plowing with the quad. i cant wait for winter already. you got me salivating now... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]