Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 04:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 Problems

I've a 2003 p650 with just short of 70 hours. Thus far, it has been an extremely solid machine. No problems of any sort. I know two guys who also have Prairies (2002) and neither have had any problems. Other than belt situation, I've never heard of anyone having these other problems. I don't doubt that there are owners who have had problems, but some machines from all manufactuers...be they ATV's cars, boats, trucks, lawnmowers, air conditioners, etc, are going to have troubles. Its the luck of the draw. If I were in the market for another ATV I can tell you I wouldn't, at this point, consider any other machine. In my opinion, thus far....no one has made a better machine than the Mighty Prairie 650.

Having said all that, there is certainly no guaranty that the future for me and my Prairie will be problem free. This is why, despite not wanting to spend spend the extra money, I bought the 3-year extended warranty. (Of course, paying all that money for the warranty likely means I'll never need to use it.) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2002 Prairie for the past 2 yrs. It has 1300 miles / 200 hours on it. Minimal problems. I would buy one again if I had to.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I just love the power & the sound of the damn thing. Just a little scared of these problems, but will keep an eye on them for awhile. Before I dive in.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 2002 that has 1500 miles and I have a 2002 with 9600 miles. One has had struts the other nothing guess which and why. Na the first 2002 had to have struts because I had to prove I could outjump a 400EX not a biggie but he was embarassed not me. The second I have has not even had a belt put on it. I run Mobile 1 Synthetic V-Twin Oil in it and she purrs like a kitten. However and I say however lightly the piece of junk burnt out a headlight can you imagine I think kawasaki should recall the darn thing - what you other prairie riders think. If I had one thing to be sore about with the prairie 650 it would be that kawasaki should have marketed it as a super sport utility so I would not have to hear the wining of those others that try to be in its class.

BTW I traded a 400 1997 Prairie 400 in on the first one and that thing was a piece of junk too. Had 24,000+ miles on it. Sure wished Kawasaki would step to the plate and make a quad what you guys think..?

Old 08-25-2003, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

I have always had luck with Kawasakis'. I had the first year 1973 Z1 900 4 Cylinder. Any of you old enough to remember that black engine with the metalic Orange & Brown tank? Ahh those 4 pipes. The pipes, the pipes, they are a calling. I then traded for the 1977 Kaw 1000. I also had a Kawasaki 1994 400 Buyou with many miles and hours and abuse. All of these with no Shop time!
It has been since the late 70's since I have been on a street machine and I swear I can hear some of the same engine tone in the P650. Not the exhaust but the engine ring.
I cant wait to see a Dual exhaust setup for the P650. It should not have to be too loud to give improvment.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

I had 1800 miles on my 2002 650 and never had a problem at all with the engine! They were 1800 very hard,,, VERY VERY hard miles!Raced and won a few hare scrambles, took way too big of jumps a few times, submerged it in a few ponds and rivers, and still no problems!

puttputt,,,
I took it to Eau Claire, Wisconsin for a week end trip with some buddies. We rode the first day for about 15 miles when it sputtered and died! I couldn't figure out what was wrong so we loaded up and headed for the Kawasaki/Harley dealer there in Eau Claire! We got there and I had to show the dealer a few things because they said they had really never had to work on any they had sold! Oh,, and the problem turned out to be one of the guys I work with thought it would be funny to unplug some wires for me before I went on my trip,, not too funny when I got back!!!! Hooked the wires up and we rode for over 200 miles the next couple days!
I now have a 700 Prairie and too tell ya the truth,,, I love it! I've had a few things go wrong but they are from rider error,,, not because there is a problem with the machine! Take a look at Penland Brothers racings record since he started racing the Prairies........ WIN WIN WIN WIN and on and on and on!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike Penlands is basicly stock and rarely has any troubles!

Old 08-25-2003, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

said you had to be careful that they like to over heat easy.

Sure, if you never clean the radiator out. But yes, they do run warmer than most. That is a sacrfice for the power they have. Besides, they can take the heat. I watched a P650 drag race all day (in 90+ degree weather) while the owner unknowingly had so little coolant in it that it would not trip the fan. It is still running like a champ. I have never seen an engine take the abuse this one can.

Maybe they have some bugs to work out.

If that were true then they would have made bigger changes from the 02 P650 to the current P700.

Maybe thats why they came out with the new 700.

Nope. They consolidated the engine line between the V700 and the P700. Overall, the machine is very similar to the P650. You can look at my P700 pictures to see some of the differences (slight) that caught my eye.

You live in Spooner and you shop at an ATV dealer in IL? Which dealer is that, if I can ask? I know a top notch Kawi dealer in mid WI that I drive 2.5 hrs to deal with. The distance is worth the hassle to me when you are dealing with people whom know the machines in and out. Good dealers are hard to find....

Old 08-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Range Rover

D.W.B.--- I never said I shopped In Ill. But I lived there for About 35 yrs.. I have friends and relatives that live there and I do visit them. Matter of fact I've have relatives in Kenosha. And to the fact that I've bought 27 New bikes with 23 being bought in ILL. . I know most of the dealers down there. I don't want to flat out name the dealer; But you should know being you live down there witch one if I told you just west of Waukegan a ways. And one of the biggest dealers in midwest. They were a.c. dealer first & a Kaw. dealer since they(Kaw.) first came to the states. I would think they should have good techs. They have always had a good reputation when I lived there. And some of the changes to the new 700 were in the supposed 650 problems areas; radiator-carbs.-belt-shield on rear shock. It the 700 also has different heads & cyclinders. I'm not sure but I think I heard the new heads have or allow better oiling to the cams. Don't know if, what, or any changes to the oil pump.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

The cylinders are different but the heads are the same! There are more differences I've been finding that most people would never notice if they didn't look at the part numbers and then ask question such as the struts and strut springs! The carbs are the same also.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

there`s a comparable ATV? no problems here. oh, ok. 1 every time i ride i do a wheelie in my pants aslo

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Problems