Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 Problems

I was interested in a P650, But I been hearing a lot of problems with it. Every thing from Bad-cams-oil pump-over heating-belt-front diff. problems shocks. Engines have to be rebuilt because of oil pumps go bad. Any body hearing or having these problems?

Old 08-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Nope.

With all the Prairies out there, I don't see any problem rate beyond what is normal or acceptable.

Considering what we put them through, I think they are holding up much better than the other brands.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Where are you hearing these things.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Actually problems are quite low compared to other "comparible" atvs.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

I agree i have had just about everthing made and i dig a little harder than the average bear. I can say this bike holds up better than few in the past without calling any names. I think you will be very happy with the brakes alone not to mention all the rest of the good stuff you get that makes this bike stand out above the rest!!!

Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

From dealers one of the biggest in ILL.[sell Honda-Kaw-Suz-Pol.] service tech. that works there said they have replaced several cams that were defective,and bad oil pumps. A friend had to have his rebuilt twice he was told oil pump broke. He's mad as hell, calls Kawa. customer relations he said they had some oil pump problems said they were not real specific. A neighbor here in Wis. has a CAT on recall she asked if I could trailer it in for her. They sell Cat & Kaw. & Yam. In service dept 2 - P650's engines there all tore apart. Whats the problem with them, oh oil pumps went bad we have to rebuild. Oil light did not come on. No warning till engine started making noise. Also talked to a couple of guys on one of the trails while taking a break said you had to be careful that they like to over heat easy. So I don't know sounds kinda risky. I think I'll wait a while and see what happens. Maybe they have some bugs to work out. Maybe thats why they came out with the new 700.

Old 08-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 2003 with 15 hours on it. I really gave it a workout Saturday. It was HOT. I like to make my own trails. I'll tie onto and move logs, travel slow in low range picking my way through. Let it sit and idle while I move brush or tie onto it. Alot of higher RPM slow travel in the heat. I was waiting for it to overheat and it did not.
I'd like to know if these oil pumps had any milage relationships. Are any of them 2003s'?

Old 08-25-2003, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

TextI have a 2003 650 Prairie that blew up at 219 miles. The bike has never been rite since then. The dealer said it had a loose rod and completely rebuilt it. Now it gets gas in the oil and I have been told by the dealer to shut the gas off when not riding it. Guess what, it still does it. Gonna have to take it back again. Probally been back a dozen times. My advise is buy a Honda or anything but a Kawajunky. Have had nothing but trouble out of mine. reddog1495

Old 08-25-2003, 04:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 03 650 with 50 hours and no trouble what so ever. I also have a 2000 300 4x4 with over a 1000 miles and still running as strong as the day I bought it. Same goes for a 2000 400. I have had so much success with Kawasaki motorcycles and 4-wheelers that is the only brand I buy any more.I have had Suzuki's in the past that were ok but constantly having to adjust brakes or cables and chains. Same with the Yamaha's I have had. even had one that crapped the CDI after a year.
There are always going to be some lemons get past Q.C. when you are making thousands of units. You just have to make up your mind as to what you really want. Just remember to research all brands and see which one can work best for you, and all of the problems they all have.

Old 08-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

Reddog--My friend has a 2002. Had them same problem gas kept getting in the oil, plus the air filter was just dripping with oil. He since has even addapted a second shut off for the gas. They said the needle valves & seats were also bad in the carbs. They had to put new cams & valves in. And he went though this twice. And this guy is 53 yrs. old and babey's it. Its been in the shop seven times that I know of. And one of the tech's said if I were you I'd buy a different brand. We've had lots of problems with them. So whats that tell you. The last time he got it back seems to be ok for now except now it back fires, I believe he said when he shuts it off, never use to.

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Problems