Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 Problems

Putt Putt I would not be afraid of the 650.I have an 02 with 400 miles and have had 0 problems.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]I ride with a hodgepodge of 4 wheelers....660 grizz's other Prairies and several Yamahas and Hondas.They all seem to have their own little things about them.My Buddies grizz boiled the gas like I had always heard about...that was scary,the hondas have had diff leaks and the Rubi even has had issues...( yes I know....it's hard to believe but even the honda needs worked on LOL).To be honest it seems the Yamahas are the least trouble.
Someone mentioned the brakes...THAT IS NICE.We always hear about the engine power but the rear brake set up is first rate and I personally like Kaws frt diff lock better also.It is simple and is not speed limited.As far as the overheating issue...........Keep the radiator clean and it will be fine.I know this applies to ALL quads.Our buddy with the Rubicon even had this problem.I would not be afraid at all to purchase another 650.Most of my miles have been at Hatfield and McCoy.
I see you are from Spooner........We have fished there on many occasions.Usually Gull lake.My wifes family used to fish Big Mackenzie years ago all the time.Good luck on your decision.
02 650 camo

Old 08-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

kodiac-- Big Mackenzie lake is supposed to be in the top ten in Wis. for Musky's.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

just west of Waukegan a ways.

I've heard of it, but never been there.

I would think they should have good techs.

You would think..... However, the biggest dealership in my area doesn't have the best service either. I get frustrated when I know more about the machine than they do.

I was just curious when I read Spooner and IL dealer.

The radiator "looks" different, but I think it is the same design with a new paint job or "coating". It looks galvanized, but it is probably just silver paint. That's what it looks like anyway. I haven't had a chance to pack it with mud yet to see if it is better. All the liquid cooled machines have trouble with packed radiators on our worst runs. It is just the nature of the beast. We just bring a flush pump along to rinse them out when needed. We have burned up two Polaris engines (same machines twice now) on that trail. Even though the Prairie's tend to heat up first, we have yet to burn an engine.

The belt change was good. They designed the P650 belt to fail around 1,000 miles. This was done in response to the P400 recall over a belt failure. Most people were not having their machines serviced and inspected. So, Kawi tried to make it so people would have to bring them in for a check. They then worked in the "belt sensor" trip at 100 hours on the 03+. Regardless of how the belt was, the machine would have to go in for service. Unless, you are like us and can find out how to reset it. For those of us resourceful enough, we are likely to be maintaining our machines properly anyway. So, I welcome the better belt. It is a harder, more durable material that should last longer. The double price does offset that a bit though. We are working on an aftermarket solution at this time.

I'm not sure what the deal is with that rear shock inner "cover". I don't see it providing better protection than a wrap around shock cover.

PW brings up a good point. There are a lot of sublte changes that we are still discovering.

For example, even though I have not yet broken a CV joint I was happy to see they upgraded the bearing cage on the P700's. I did have a CV joint start to fail, but that was because the outer boot clip popped off and allowed sand to enter the joint. I replaced it before it failed.

Good luck and enjoy whichever machine you get.....

Old 08-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Range Rover

D.W.B.--just to let you know those changes that I said from the 650 to the 700 are in the new Dirt Wheels mag. October issue. Page 54 Carbs. have small change. I don't know but it sounds like they may have also changed the transmition; same as on the V-Force. If it is different than the 650 I don't know. Also see page 53. Near bottom of page.

Old 08-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

I've got 298 hrs. and 3298 miles. Love it...

Old 08-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I called a dealer today and spoke with the service rep and asked about 650 problems. He said only one 2002 unit with bad cams has been in. He changed them out and it came back. The second set of cams were deeper blue in color and have been in for check out and are doing fine.
I'm reasonably sure that the same vendor makes cams for all the MFG's. It could happen to any of them.
My fingers are crossed.

Old 08-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: puttputt
D.W.B.--just to let you know those changes that I said from the 650 to the 700 are in the new Dirt Wheels mag. October issue. Page 54 Carbs. have small change. I don't know but it sounds like they may have also changed the transmition; same as on the V-Force. If it is different than the 650 I don't know. Also see page 53. Near bottom of page.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old 08-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

I do know they put drains in the bottoms of the carb bowls but other than that I seen no differences!

Old 08-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reddog1495
TextI have a 2003 650 Prairie that blew up at 219 miles. The bike has never been rite since then. The dealer said it had a loose rod and completely rebuilt it. Now it gets gas in the oil and I have been told by the dealer to shut the gas off when not riding it. Guess what, it still does it. Gonna have to take it back again. Probally been back a dozen times. My advise is buy a Honda or anything but a Kawajunky. Have had nothing but trouble out of mine. reddog1495

I have a 2002 model that got gas in the oil ... I change the choke springs ($10) ..... has not done it since,, and I have not shut the fuel off in four months.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

Well I have 250hrs. on mine and 2050mi. and I'm making my first repair,and that is getting the bushings replaced on the driven clutch at a local machine shop. I'm getting the bushings made of oil lite brass so it should be better than new. I keep my belt adjusted to specs and I'm still on the first belt and it is in great shape. Ijust ordered a set of ATRs and douglas red lable rims can't wait to try them..

Quick Reply: Prairie 650 Problems