Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Problem getting rear seal for 02 P650

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem getting rear seal for 02 P650

A buddy of mine ran into a serious problem with his '02 P650, serious by the fact that his quad was down for a long time and couldn't ride it. His rear seal was leaking real bad and since it was under warranty, he took it in to be repaired. The problem was that the parts that came with the part no. wasn't the right parts. It seemed there was a screw up and Kawasaki didn't have the actual part, or didn't have a number for it. He was waiting a month for Kawasaki to make the right part or find one that fit. The dealer finally got it for him. The '03 part number is right and it fits the '02 model with no problem. You would think that they would check that first before asking Kawasaki to come up with a seal that would fit, wouldn't you? But for future reference, if you need a rear seal for an '02 P650, order the '03 rear seal because the part no. listed for an '02 will get you a seal that won't fit.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

What rear seal are you talking about? I have an axle seal that just sprung a leak.

Old 08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

We were talking about it on another forum and I'm not sure if he reads this one. But this is his quote when asked what was wrong:

"Ok this is what is wrong with my wheeler. A bad seal on the rear axle. Thats it.... Nothing else. I bought the 4 year warrenty and refuse to do the work myself. Plus if I did want to do the work I still couldn't get the part. You see the dealer ordered the part to begin with and it came in. Only bad thing is they sent the correct part no. but the wrong part was in the bag. Come to find out Kawasaki had put the wrong part with that particular part no. Now I have to wait for the *&(&^U Japs to make a new one that is for my bike. According to our dealer, if they found a part from another dealer then it would most likely be the wrong one because this is just a problem that Kawasaki created for themselves. I would just go get the darn thing and ride it but now after they removed the seal and tried to reinstall the old one it leaks like the Titanic. Pretty much I'm screwed out of my wheeler until Sept. 5. SO THEY SAY!!! Rachelle says it'll probably be next year before they get it. All I know is that if I don't soon get my bike back I'm gonna sell it back to them and buy me a crappy Polaris or something."

And this is what he posted when he finally got it fixed:

"Finally I'm able to pick up my quad. Rachelle called all over the state yesterday and found out that the part was unable to be found and wouldn't be avaliable to any dealer until Sept 1, 2003. She found out that my dealer needed to put it on emergency backorder so I called to see if thats what it was on and he said good news. Its ready. Come to find out the part was the same as the 03 model but only difference was the 02 had to be bought as an entire part and the 03 could be broken down so you could just buy the seal. Anyways I'm gonna have my ride back today.... What I great birthday present.... You guys let me know where you wanna ride. I'm ready to go. I got both my bikes ready and they wanna burn some gas...."

I'll send you a PM about how to get in touch with him if you have any questions.

Old 08-28-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

The rear axle seal (r or l) is the same P/N on the 2002 and 2003.

Maybe the dealer is covering up a screwup, or they have bad part #'s on their microfiche.