Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Manual Lift vs. Winch Lift for Plow

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Lift vs. Winch Lift for Plow

Hey everyone,

I went to the dealer yesterday to price out a new plow for my P650. I had my mind made up that I was going to order the manual lift but the dealer is trying to convince me to go with the winch lift instead. According to him, almost every plow that he sells, he sells them with the winch lift. He told me that people get tired of having to lift the plow manually, plus he says that the lever is in the way. He also pointed out that the manual setup is more expensive then the winch lift if you already have a winch.

The reasons why I was thinking of going with a manual lift were that I heard that if you used the winch lift, it was slower to raise the blade, plus it was hard on your winch.

What does everybody use for a lift systems, and what made you decide on that system?

Old 09-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither.
Use a Electric lift kit which uses less strain on your battery. By using your winch all the time & since you are only lifting 6 inches or so, you can damage the winch cable.
I first ordered my lift with the manual lift kit & NO thanks, the dealer is correct, it is bulky & does get in the way & your left arm won't like it either.
A electric lift kit cost about $110 more over the manual set-up but I think it is well worth the extra $$$, does anyone else agree?
Go to www.denniskirk.com in the winch section & you can see the kit & how it works & how it hooks up to your 4wheeler.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

bfb650b2

Is this what you mean?

Lift

Wow this seems like the thing to have. How durable is this? And what is the lift speed?

Old 09-07-2003, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

i use a manual lift and fiind it quite well suited for me, i like the ability to be able to have more control over raising and lowering. I have since noticed after putting on a set of the maier brush guards that the lift handle hit the guard, might have to take that off for winter use. I have a winch, and agree that it is alot of wear and tear.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Fireman650

One question about the manual lift. When you take the plow off your bike, does the lever part disconnect from the plow? I would assume it does, just not sure how it works.

Old 09-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

why would the up and down be hard on the winch.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

mudhound

I would assume that it would put wear and tear on the winch since you are using it so much. It can't be good for the winch. I've heard of people burning out the winch.

For the winch cable problem, I was reading that some people buy a short piece of cable to use when they plow. But the bad thing about that is that you loose the use of your winch during winter times since you only have a short cable in your winch.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

I have used both the manual and I now have the electric plow lift. I saw a guy lift his with his winch and I guess he wasn't paying attention to many times when he raised it and bent the heII outta it!

The electric lift I have is the Cycle Country one and they are a little slow but if I want to have my blade a little higher when I plow, I can just hit the button and set it where I want it, with the manual you are either up or down,, unless you want to try to steer with one hand and hold the blade up with the other! LOL!! I have had my electric lift for over 2 years with no problems,, except my dog chewed the wires off it once,,, but if it ever fails I've already purchased another one just in case!

Old 09-07-2003, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Prairiewrench

Thanks for the great info. I really like the idea of the electic lift. A big bonus of this lift is that you can still use your winch. I also noticed that cycle country makes a universal adapter to fit any type of plow.

Old 09-08-2003, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer

i found one bad thing about the electric lift is that its slow and if buried with snow it cant raise itself back up