Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

motocrossing a V Force

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motocrossing a V Force

Gents,

I am thinking of getting my feet wet into motocross riding my V Force. The Force has been so darn good in every other venue and my confidence in the quad is very high.

Anyone have any comments on the V's ability on the track? (I do not have the funds to spend 2 grand on Elkas, so let's get that out of the way right now)

Also, how do you get started? Do you just go and ease into it or should you learn some fundamentals first?

Old 09-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

Buy some motocross videos and watch what they do, try to mimic them. Start out small and build up taking bigger jumps as your confidence grows. The V is a little heavy for the track with stock shocks but should do OK. Once you learn the ins and out of the V on the track you will do well. Have fun and don't get hurt to much....hehe.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

I've had mine on a track a couple of times, its just not made for that type of riding. Its good on whoops, but it doesn't corner like a smaller quad will and unless you hit the big jumps perfect it'll bottom out on you.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

I definately will agree with kevin. I notice that when i take corners sharp on the v it tends to get on 2 wheels pretty easily. Also it does bottom out on the bigger jumps.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

I 2 wheel my v in corners alot too, I think its the tires. I didn't get a chance to swap tires with my friends Z400 when I was down last but I think with radials on she will handle alot better. I would love to try radials on the V-Force.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

I went to a track last weekend and what I did was I started very slowly getting 1 or 2 feet jumps on a table top for quite a while and graduated from there (I'v only been riding for about 2 or 3 months). after about 4 hours I was clearing the table top! If I were to guess mabe 6 or 7 feet in the air and 10 to 12 feet distance. NOTE: AT THE END OF THE DAY I WIPED OUT IN A TURN! pretty nasty spill. the stock v is not the machine for high speed turns. I would consider a steering damper before getting to crazy in the turns. I'm going to price one for my v. I'm with ya on the elkas but I figure I should be able to afford a steering damper somewhere around $200-$400. All and all I had the best time I'v ever had on my v. I'v herd it hear before getting air on a quad is by far the best time you can have on a quad. By the way I'm 200lbs and for some reason I only bottomed out once just slightly. I did adjust my front and rear shocks to the softer side using spring adjust for the front and I think compression adjust on the back. Go for the track and have fun but be CAREFUL in the turns.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

I think the V does pretty well on the Mx tracks, once I got it set up properly, and along with quite a bit of seat time riding on MX tracks with the V. One of the best attributes of the V is it's excellent handling and it's raw power. In the hands of a much younger rider than myself, I think the V would be a very competitive quad in mx races. Probably not on a Pro or National level, but certainly on the local level...if the rider is up to it.

I have spent quite a bit of time on a local MX track with my V. I have come to the conclusion that you need to toss the front shocks (stock) and replace them with at the very least a set of non-rezzy triple rate shocks, such as the Elka's or another comparable brand. I installed a set of Elka triple rate non-rezzys along with a set of 20" Holeshot XCRs......the absolute best bets bang for the buck, that I think you can do for the V. The shocks and tires were just under $600.00. The rear shock will do if you land the jumps correctly, and on the down side. The rear shock hates flat landings......and I only weigh about 150lb. I would also add the Elka rear shock, but our GNCC stock class rules do not allow changing the rear shock....I am going to get it re-valved though.

The engine has plenty of power for any type of racing, I have no problems hanging with the aftermarket 426's and 450's that are at the track ( they do out jump me though). Focus on your set up, handling, and riding skill, then you could consider messing with more power, but I don't think it's necessary though....the V has more than enough.

I do however plan on messing whith some engine mods for my V, but only after i have it set up and handling the best i can.

At the very least (H-Daug) get yourself some 20" tires on the rear and give it a shot,.....you just might be surprised.

here is a pix of me jumping our 70' ft table top....... this past weekend (actually its the launch.... my son took pix too early, but you get the point........)

table top pix 2# we had trouble get'n a good pix do to the sun.....

............tarrat

Old 09-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

BTW...I haven't cleared it ....yet!

still comming up about 10-15' feet short of the down side....I'll get it before the snow flies...lol

.......tarrat

Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

I am running Mx Holshots all the way around 19 in on the front 18 in on the back and love it. I also run full elka suspension. This thing will run with anything at any place I have been. Just keep going to the track this bike will do anything you ask of it.