Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Lakota - in general

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2000, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Kawasaki Lakota is one of the few machines that I have really wanted to ride that I have never had the chance too. The strange thing is, I am not sure why I am so interested in them. I have ridden a variety of ATV's ranging from the Suzuki King Quad to the Yamaha Banshee, but this sport/utility still interest me.

I don't see many (actualy, any) on the trails, and the local dealer has only had a few. Just curious about what people can tell me about them, in general. It seems to be an ATV that would really suit my riding style, it being sporty and also capable of hauling loads, towing, and hunting. But it lacks 4x4, my main "need". I have really no interest to buy one, just curious, that's all.

Adam Dowden

PS-Another reasons I brought this up is the lack of Lakaota talk. It might be a great machine, but if no owners talk about it, newcomers might not give it a chance. :-)

[This message has been edited by quad_man (edited 01-07-2000).]

Old 01-08-2000, 12:47 AM
Range Rover

I agree with your curiousity, this has always been a quad I've look at with intrigue. Maybe because it looks like a forbore sport quad with racks. If you modifiy the engin and take off the racks, i bet this is a killer trail machine, a sport trial machine I don't see any Lakota wither, nor do I see that almight popular TRX250R

Evan,
Please adhere to the ATV Connection Forum guidelines regarding embedded graphics/gimmicks. They take up too much bandwidth which could otherwise be used for posting text messages.
ATVBBS

Evan Johnson 400EX/LT250R

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 01-10-2000).]

Old 01-08-2000, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer

My friend has a Lakota I think it`s a very nice machine.Take the racks off and it looks like a mojave.It`s not as fast as my mojave but they are a great trail bike and I`ve heard they are very reliable.

Old 01-08-2000, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've owned a Lakota for a little over a year
and I say it is a fun machine. It handles well on the trail and is fun in the sand pit. I am 6' and 240 and it still has decent speed and power. When you're out all day you will appreciate those racks and the cooler you can carry.

Old 01-08-2000, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 1997 Lakoda, had it for about a year now. It rides the trails very well, I don't have any problem keeping up with my buddies 300ex on the trails, and he rides quit aggressive! Very good suspension, desent speed(top end around 50) and just a fun and EASY bike to ride. I also have a Honda 250 Recon, and the Lakoda is faster, more power up hills, and believe it or not just as agile in the tight trails. I'd give the Lakoda an A+ for all around sport/recreation. Jeff

Old 01-09-2000, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

quad_man....if you are interested in a very sporty quad that can tow, i suggest you look at the yamaha timberwolf, its avalible in 4wd, but that thing is sporty i have one and its haull A$$ for a ute

just a thought....i know this is the kawasaki forum

------------------
96' Honda 300 4x4- 93' Timberwolf 250 2x4

Chris Lindstrom

Old 01-09-2000, 08:24 PM
Range Rover

Not to be mean, but the Timberwolf looks ugly and totally un sporty. I'd rather have a recon

//////////////
This post edited for noncompliance with ATV Connection Forum Guidelines. See above post by same author for reason.
ATVBBS
//////////////

Evan Johnson 400EX/LT250R

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 01-10-2000).]

Old 01-13-2000, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 98 Lakota, and it's great. K&N filter, jet kit and a DG pipe, AC bumper, shock wears, racks off, it rips the trails up. Has a lot of low and mid range power, and a decent top end. Have no trouble keeping up with warriors and 300ex's. In fact people always ask me what kind of bike is that again, as if they were impressed with it. I know I am. I think another reason people don't talk about them much on the forum, is because they are very reliable, and trouble free. I know a lot more people out there has them. Let's hear bout them Lakota's. Mods, problems, questions, feed back, pictures??
By the way, I just had knee surgery yesterday, and can't ride for a few weeks, I'm pretty bummed out right now. No I didn't hurt my knee riding quads, old wrestling injury.

Take care,
Mike Komara
Crystal River, FL

Old 01-15-2000, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

If you want a sport-utility and you'd like to have a 4x4 then you have to look at the Wolverine. I have a '97 and I love it. My friend has a Lakota and it is a great machine. The top speeds are about equal and it is great on the trails. He goes wherever I do except for where the 4x4 is needed. It's awesome for jumping too. But you do have to see the Wolverine. It is alot more $$$ than the Lakota, $1600 i think. But they are both really cool.

-Scott 97 Wolverine

Old 01-20-2000, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

I Just got a 00 Lakota for christmas. My dad bought it for me and i love it. it just takes a while for it to get to top speed Hopefuly when i get the valves adjusted it will be snapper it also has good torque it pulled my friends 300ex home one day when his chain broke. so prety much so it is a good quad.

Quick Reply: Lakota - in general