Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Primary spring test, final results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary spring test, final results.

I will probably pass on the weight test. I just dont have the place down here. Im sending the springs out to their owners in the mail today. I do look forward to your weight test though. That would be very interesting. Do you have adjustable weights?

Old 10-01-2003, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

Nice website, I have a 02 650 and just purchased a epi black spring but haven't installed it yet, because my cousin said that he didn't think it helped. I think he's wrong I believe it will, did it help yours? Thanks.

Old 10-01-2003, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

I take it you are talking about the secondary spring. To be honest I cant tell much difference because at 79 miles I installed the EPI Black secondary spring. Its been over 900 miles since my stock spring has been in. I was going to include a secondary spring test in my testing but got rained out. Almost everyone says it helps prevent belt slip. With 25" tires it may not be needed but could still help. If I was running 27" tires "and I was at the time I installed it" I would get one for sure.

Old 10-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kawrules,
I recently did a test with EPI's black spring (see my thread entitled "EPI Black Spring Drag Test on Asphalt). Basically, I concluded that the black spring makes no difference in acceleration or top speed on my quad (which has 25 inch tires). Therefore, there is no downside in using this spring and theoretically, the additional pressure of this spring should result in longer belt life and longer life of sheaves.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

I've raced before on pavement, but never in 4x4. I didn't know it made that big of a difference, even on pavement. I'll remember something from this the next time I race someone. A tenth of a second is a measurable distance when traveling at 50 mph, unless I punched a number wrong, is 3.4 feet. Half a quad length that can make a difference.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RebelDS,
Just to clarify, the timed tests that I ran on pavement showed 2wd was consistently faster than 4wd by about 0.05 to 0.10 seconds (approximately 1/2 to 1 quad length faster in 2wd). However, when testing on loose dirt, I found the 4wd times to be faster (due to the presence of wheelspin).

In summary, the general rule is that 2wd is usually faster than 4wd on hard pavement, and 4wd is usually faster than 2wd on loose surfaces.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

I agree 100% with Mikey. I remember seeing Mikeys post on testing the springs. I also agree that running 4wd in dirt is faster than 2wd. EVERY SINGLE SPRING was faster in 4wd at EVERY SINGLE DISTANCE than 2wd. I cant stress this enough. At first I didnt believe it until we did the test.

RebelDS, you think a tenth is fast,.....I was getting .2 sec or more difference in my results in 4wd. Just think,....if I had done the test on the asphalt airport runway we may never would have know 4wd makes "THAT" much of a difference on dirt. I know I wouldnt.

Old 10-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Ok.....I thought it was on pavement. I thought there must have been a little bit of wheel spin on pavement that I never noticed before. On dirt, I thought there would be a bigger difference in a short distance, but in the long run I figured it would even out because the motor isn't pulling 4 tires.

Old 10-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

LOL,...yoiur first sentance confuses me. I will come back in the morining and read it again. Then I will try t oanser it.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KISSSOFDEATH

prairivenom, I would like to see that 6.1 with a stock P650 at 100yards "300feet". Especially on a dirt road without good traction.
I assure you that my times are accurate.I did this test for a project for ag science, when i was a freshman. I can beat piped and jetted 400ex all day long. On the sand i can hang with the 400 class sport quads but cant come close to the 650 big bore sport quads.. If you want me to prove it send me a digitale video camera and i will do the tests post them on the web then send it back. the way we mesured the 300ft was we took a 30ft long tape measure and just measured 30ft 10 times that equales 300ft....right?
And if you dont belive me with my p650 then youll never believ what my uncles grizz 600 ran it did it at6.5 at 47 mph weird . I couldnt beilive he hade a higher speed considering i would out acclerate him at any speed.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Primary spring test, final results.