Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

EPI bright green vs pink spring

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPI bright green vs pink spring

Hello everyone....Ive seen a couple of post regarding these springs....has anyone else tried the green and with what results....kicking around ordering the green......Thanks

Old 10-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have tried both, imo the pink works well for trail riding but it is hard to get a good start if you ever try to race anyone from a dead start, it engages too low and will cause wheelies. The b.g. engages a little higher but the tires do break loose and the front stays down pretty well making a good start alot easier. I use the b.g. all the time now because everywhere I go people want to race the 700( after the magazines ripped on it a little everyone thinks they can knock off the v )

Old 10-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider

When I tested these two spring along with 6 others I liked the B/G spring better than the Pink one. Im running a P650 though but the V700 should give close to the same results.

Old 10-20-2003, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

The p650,and the p700 may have close to the same results,The V is not even close to acting similar.
The V likes much higher rpm...asespecially when piped. Aside from having much lighter total bike weight,different final drive ratio,smaller ,lighter tires,a different helical cut in the sec.clutch,and lighter flyweights,etc...........it also has internal differences like: A different igniter (that carries more timing to a higher rpm), totally different valve timing, the cdi has nothing to do with wheel speed, different carbs and airbox system, etc.
..the obvious bore and stroke differences between the 2 Prairie models do not offer huge differences in clutching(notice the factory uses the same flyweights for both),they use a different helical cut in the sec. clutch to compensate for the torque difference,hence similar clutching as far as springs and weights go. The style and engine set up is the same. ...
The V makes more power than either one,If the engine was designed to operate with more power at the same rpm of the p models,it would need more flyweight mass(or a softer primary spring) than the prairies have to stay within that same rpm band. It makes its power at a higher rpm,thus the factory uses much lighter weights in the V. (those lighter weights from a V would rev and go nowhere in a prairie especially on top end.
The 650 and 700 prairies could probably use similar springs, and the built in secondary changes ,etc .would give similar performance gains, ............but a V is a V.

Old 10-21-2003, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I wasnt talking about performance results. I know the V will do better. I was talking about the difference I saw from going from one spring to the other in my P650. SandSam may see similar gains that I did when I switched springs but his gains may be much better than mine was.

HELIX, I have your Dalton Plain/White spring in my P650 now. Its been there for over 200 miles and I love it. Can I have it? LOL

Old 10-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I guess what i was referring to is that; a higher finish rate (like that pink) , may be more effective on a V (especially if piped) than the b/g. ..on a prairie ..you would likely see the opposite. this is because of the way the engine is set up. There,I guess that is simpler than my above post,lol.
And yes,I beleive you have the sample that I sent NYROC for testing.If it's fine with him,it's fine with me .Keep it if you like.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks HELIX. Yes, those are the springs I have. He said I could have the Plain/White one if it was okay with you. Now I can send the other two back.