Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

secondary spring and holeshot module on the P700?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default secondary spring and holeshot module on the P700?

Do you guys know if the secondary spring needs to be in the 700 and will the wholeshot work on the 700 also? I tried a 700 yesturday and my 650 would have blown it away out of the whole. Ofcourse I could feal that the belt was loose though. I couldn't have weelied that dog if someone was lifting up the front end the way they had the belt on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003, 04:43 AM
Pro Rider

holeshot will work and a stock 700 (with tight belt) with beat MOST moded 650 out of the hole.......mid range............and top end.

not sure if Kawi put a stiffer secondary in the 700 or not

l8r
cart

Old 10-31-2003, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

I disagree Cartman. Every bike is differant but a P650 with $200 worth of mods will take a stock P700.

I ride with two P700's & beat them both off the line. In the mid-range it depends on where we're riding. If it's loose I'll pull ahead. If it's compact, we're even. I attribute this to my black secondary spring gripping better in the slop (maybe incorrectly). On the top end, one is 1mph faster & I'm even with the other. This is all with my old P650 belt. I just installed the P700 belt & gained at least 1mph. Time to race again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

They come with the same sec spring as the 650.
I installed our Dalton plain/purple sec spring,along with our
Plain white primary. (our DK650 kit)
It showed about 1 tenth quicker in 400ft. This is almost as good a gain as on the 650. After playing around with many spring combos,..never really found any springs better than that on a stock p700. (that is if you like to keep close to stock engagement)Although it does not feel like a huge gain,interestingly enough,it showed 1mph faster in 900ft on pavement (61 vs 60 stock). Certain times and conditions used to show a 1mph loss on a 650 on top end. ..This testing shows that the p700 is a little better clutched (or better able to handle the clutching that is in it)right out of the box. With better backshifting and response while driving around in a mushy field,the effects were more noticeable with the springs in.That along with the increased belt life still make these springs good bang for the buck on the 700p.
The addition of our Black /white gave a blistering holeshot in comparison,but some do not like higher engagement.The black/white,or the Blue(if you still wanted lower engagement) ,both have higher finnishing load rates,and would be most effective if running 27"or larger tires...the taller gearing,heavier rotating mess,and loss of backshifting from those tires requires a stiffer primary spring to compensate.
All in all,it is a great bike.And yes,if it was mine to keep,I would have a module on it in a minute. Dale

Old 10-31-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

Helix,,Glad to hear this......question, I know the Blue has a little less engagement than the P/W, have you had a chance to try the blue in a 700 pra. or just the plain white? if so what was the verdict? does the plain white just work better in the Prairie? and the blue work best in the v-force?

Old 10-31-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Stakk, yes,I did try the blue. This was also with our sec spring(which changes the effect of a primary spring).the bike always seemed to respond better with the sec spring installed.
The blue (on the 700p)produced very similar to stock results,With a 1-2 mph loss on top end on pavement at about 900 ft.This was with stock tires.Throw on 27"tires on a stock bike,and the blue will regain top end losses from those tires.
The reason the blue loses top end slightly with stock tires is that it overrevs a bit past its power peak.
The blue works awsome on a V force when used in conjunction with our flyweights(especially when piped) because those Dpk weights ,even though a little heavier than stock v weights,actually act lighter on top end than the 58g that they are..Rpm is what is needed on that model. On a p700 with camshafts(stock v or web cams) that are retarded ,a little porting,some compression etc,The blue is also the better choice.Penland told me he is running our Vforce weights,blue spring,and overdrive cover(no more ebs) on one of his cross country 4x4's that has a V drive clutch,but the bike is modded.
Jackie Meadows(team green TT) took their 785 v to a local 300 ft drag recently with a high engagement spring and a wheelie bar.It ran not to potential. With a wheelie bar you don't want to buzz the tires and overrev too soon,you want to hook up ,load the engine breifly(by shifting out hard)and rev out on top.The great bottom end torque of a v can be used with a wheel bar.He is anxious to go to another drag now.Using a lower engaging primary spring is backwards to anything we would normally do for drags,But if engaging too high,you miss out on all that torque.This can be effective ONLY IF you can keep the front end down
I guess what I'm saying is that primary springs can be a good tuning tool,but it depends on the application as to which one is best.
On a stock p700 ,When used with a secondary spring at least, the Plain/white is my preferrence if you want to keep similar to stock engagement.

Old 11-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Helix, Now I NEED you to do something for us Pra 700 owner's, That nice little overdrive spider plate you have for the v-force, make one for us......would it be really hard to machine one that would have the engine brake bearing pressed in?????/ I sure would buy one if you can do it and make it work for you all moneywise, I don't think the bearing itself would be too expensive just don't know about the machine work........

Old 11-02-2003, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Actually,our o/d cover plate for the v already has the bearing shoulder to fit the bearing.But on a stock v force it is not that effective.It seemed on a stock bike,that it actually liked it just as well to run out of belt travel and build rpm to get mph.Add a few hp with twin pipes and jetting..bang more top end mph when using the cover vs without it. Probably on a long downhill run it would show mph on a stocker,but not enough bang for the buck for us to market it that way. I have never actually popped the bearing out of a prairie and put into this cover to try it after seeing results on the v,but i will probably try it sometime on a modded prairie.. (It would have to be on a newer 700 style drive clutch of course to have effect,as the sheave angle on the inner sheave is different on older 650's.)Some guys like Penland are using it on Prairies that are modded for racing,but I never thought to ask if they were using the ebs. Our intended application is for a V force race application.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

I know what you mean about stock, I was thinking with the plate set up to work with the ebc on our Pra. 700's along with a pipe and maybe web cam's and your blue spring to pull the extra rpm's the cam's and pipe would give the plate and higher load spring's would pull some extra top end power and maybe a 3-4 extra mph........

Old 11-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

I would expect so.