Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt tension reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt tension reset

How do I reset the belt tension on my 03 650,I see nyrocs site is no longer available. I have the black and gray plugs located but i dont know the procedure.any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Here it is word fo word

The 2002 650 never needs this light reset procedure. If the belt switch is tripped, adjust the belt and flip the switch back to "ON"(a loose belt flips it to off). A flipped switch will cause a power loss. See bottom of page for location of the switch.

2003 650 and 2004 700 can also have their belt switches tripped by a loose belt. However, the belt light may stay on after flipping the switch back to "ON", or it may have come on automatically at 100 hours to get you to return the machine to the dealer for inspection. The following procedures will reset the light if the belt switch is not tripped. A tripped switch will cause loss of power. Adjust the belt and flip switch to the "ON" position (a loose belt flips it to off). However, a belt light needing to be reset (such as at 100 hours) will cause early 2003 machines to loose power, but not later ones (I am told). If you aren't sure which procedure to use on your 2003 650, try the first one. If it does not reset the light use the second one.

The 360 belt light behavior is very similar to the 650. If at first you can not find the right connectors, keep looking deeper because they really are there. This has been the case with many 360 owners, they found them after looking.

There is a procedure in the KFX folder for the Vforce to reset the light. The Vforce does not have a belt trip switch.
Note: Disconnecting the battery does not reset the light.

Note: there have been rumors that the ON/OFF label on the belt trip switch has been mislabeled on a couple of machines. You may want to double check your switch is flipped toward the rear of the ATV (bad belt flips switch forward). The switch is inside the CVT cover. Do not turn the ignition on with the CVT cover removed or the KEBC motor will spool out and prevent you from putting the cover back on (unplug the KEBC motor if you do).

Note: A poorly connected battery can cause the light to repeatedly come on even if the switch doesn't flip. A bad ignition switch might also be a cuplrit.

Note: Always inspect the drive belt before resetting the belt warning light.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early 2003 650 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

3. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

4. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

5. Turn the ignition switch ON.

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late 2003 and 2004 700 Belt light reset procedure.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect both sets of 5 pin connectors located above the CVT cover. Note: These connectors are located just beneath the shift handle on the right side of the 650; one is black and one is grey.

3. Connect these 5 pin connectors to their opposite pairs (grey to black and black to grey).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON.

5. Disconnect the belt failure switch at the 2-pin connector above the CVT cover. (Note: Just follow the wires coming from the rectangular black box on the CVT Cover to locate this connector.)

6. Observe the belt-warning lamp. It should be flashing at a 0.4 second interval for a few seconds then start to flash slower. Let the lamp flash for at least seven seconds.

7. After seven seconds or more, turn the ignition switch off.

8. Reconnect 5 pin connectors to their proper location (black to black, grey to grey).

9. Connect the belt failure switch 2-pin connector (wires from CVT cover).

10. Turn the ignition switch on to confirm that the belt warning light is not flashing. Retry this procedure if needed. As far as I have heard it always works if the belt switch isn't tripped and there are no electrical problems.

Old 11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats great thanks,my battery is draining for some unknown reason ,everytime i give it a boost the belt tension light flashes causing this problem.I called the local dealer today and they only told me to switch the plugs and turn it back on to reset the light,that didnt sound like the proper procedure...