Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Suspension help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 10:08 PM
MTI
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension help needed

I have always felt like the steering on my KFX 400 was very light. I don't know if this is the right term but it feels like the tires are just barely in contact with the ground and the front end is very jittery. It is especially noticeable on uneven terrain as the front tires move in and out of ruts or over bumps. Also very noticeable when I accelerate hard. I has bugged me for a long time but I have just tried to ignore it. Well yesterday I rode my friends 400ex and was amazed at how planted the front end felt. It inspired a whole new level of confidence in my riding.

So...

Has anyone else noticed this?

I weigh about 200 lbs and my rear shock is still on the factory setting (about 1/4 down on the threads and no adjustment to rebound or compression. Could this be the problem?? i.e. The rear shock is not set stiff enough and my weight compresses the rear end too far, unweighting the front. Hard acceleration just magnifies the problem?

Are there other explanations I should look into?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ridden my buddies kfx 400 and the front end seems "light" to me too. My buddy confirmed that he believes his quad is way too wheelie happy. I'm guessing a longer swingarm might solve this wheelie prone problem and perhaps help the front end steering problem as well. But its just my guess.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2003, 11:01 PM
MTI
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I feel a little better knowing it is not just me. I keep wondering if I should increase the compression on the rear spring and maybe even reduce the fronts. I assume this would reduce the squat in the rear and help keep pressure on the front tires. Do this make sense???

Thanks

Old 11-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, it makes sense to me (at least in theory). I'd say give it a try and see if it helps!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]