Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

naber vs. DG holeshot module.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default naber vs. DG holeshot module.

Can someone please tell me the difference. I ride my P700 mostly on trails, rock, and hills.
Whichever module I go with, I will prob. get a switch also.
I heard the Naber is better?

Old 12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months ago, there was a big debate on whether the holeshot modules perform the same or differently. Some suggested that 1 or 2 of these modules perform better (including added hp from bottom to top-end). A tech that works for Diamond G explained his R&D findings on the DG holeshot module on another forum and more or less stated that changing the frequency would not yeild a better result than the DG holeshot module. In a nutshell, the holeshot modules simply remove the retarded timing that is applied whenever the quad is not moving and you first hit the gas. The holeshot accomplishes this by sending a false speed sensor signal to the cdi so that the cdi thinks the quad is already travelling at a faster rate of speed. If you believe what the tech said (I do), then all existing holeshot modules should only effect the bottom-end and all should perform the same.

By the way, DG (and perhaps others) is currently working on a top-end module called the unlimiter. Last I spoke to DG, this module will not be ready for sale until mid-January. But they have been known to push back the release date until they work all the bugs out.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply! It was helpful.
One last question. What is the difference between just adding the module without the blackspring?

thanks,

Rob

Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

You REALLY need to get the black spring. $ for $, the black spring is money better spent! Without it, the module will just cause more belt slip. Get the black spring first, then the module.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

I beg to differ, that the black spring is a necessity all the time...without the black spring, if the belt is in spec. ( tightness ), it will rarely slip, unless much larger tires are used... I ran 2 years with the stock secondary spring, & the older weaker 650 belt, running 26" Mudrunners, most of the time, & even 28" Mudzilla's, for mud bog racing ... pulling large trailers around the farm, mud bog racing, hare scramble racing, & running the bluff trails ( steep hills ), & had no belt problems, until I had to replace my defective '02 secondary clutch ( I was also one of the guy's that did the original module tests )... even though MIKEYBOY, has tested & shown no speed loss, with the black spring, I'm going out on a limb here, but, IMO, it may actually promote faster belt wear, through the increased temperatures, associated with the increased pressures that the black spring provides... though I'll admit that this heat is probably marginal... I do think that the black spring is benificial for use with the very large mud tires, but not really needed for 25" - 26" tires, even with the use of the modules...I now have the FST 750 cc kit installed, & still run the 28" mud tires, for racing, & am still undefeated in open class mud racing, & still don't feel that the black spring is important enough to take the time to install it on my already highly modified quad...

Old 12-31-2003, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike W.,
I've read your many, many posts where you openly doubt the "powers" of the black spring. You can't fight the power...the force is too great, this one. So why not join us on the dark side? Repeat after me: The Black Spring is good [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

BTW, Happy New Year to you!

Old 01-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Trailblazer

Too F'n classic. Your post is hillarious!!

Happy New Year!

Rob

Old 01-02-2004, 06:13 AM
Pro Rider

the Nabor's and DG do the same exact thing. The perform exactly the same. Like Mike said the debate on this got HEATED a few months back. The difference in acceleration numbers people see is due to the different bikes period. One bike will run better/worse than another......

Highlifter is marketing a new module they say increased power throughout the powerband. Dan (Sales Manager) guaranteed me that it was unlike anything else on the market. HL should receive their first shippment on 1/9/04 and ship them soon thereafter. I'm on the list to receive one of the first 50. I have nothing to compare (DG, Nabor, Freedom or other module) so i'll just be able to tell you how well my bike likes it. Hopefully i'll be able to wire an on/off switch like you can with the DG, etal.

l8r
cart

Old 01-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

cartman308. As long as the highlifter module works, you will be happy, but if it attaches to the igniter's pink wire, it will perform the same as all the rest. The speed sensor input acts as a switch, not as a control. I have witnessed this test myself and have seen the timing advance vs. input frequency. The sales people will always say their product is unlike the others. If it connects to the igniter's black/white stripe wire, it is actually phase-shifting the timing and can actually give you more or less timing from stock, rather than just switching maps, but I highly doubt it.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider

M.B... you are a funny guy... LOL

How did your GNCC race go ???, or didn't you race it yet ???

I'm glad no one has beaten me up over the black spring yet... I ( DO ) think it is a necessity if you are running larger than stock tires, wallowing in mud most of the time, or pulling alot, but I have had satisfactory belt life, even though I abuse the heck out of my quad ... if I get more into the ATV pulling, this summer... I might just end up installing the ( dark force, Luke )...LOL

Quick Reply: naber vs. DG holeshot module.