Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Cold Starting V-Force

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Starting V-Force

Anyone have any tips for starting the V-Force in the cold. Takes me forever even on 40-50 degree F days. I usually go full choke and blip the throttle while hitting the starter. My Raptor would start in the cold very easily compared to this quad.

Old 01-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Cold? you call that cold????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. I have started my V full choke no issues at -15 C. It sat outside for a week then fired her right up. I had to let it idle full choke for 2 or 3 min. I was more concerned that the battery would be dead . You may want to keep off the throttle. Try turning up the idle as you ease off the choke. Also, make sure your carbs are sync'd.

Are there any good dealers in the "Florence Y'All" area?? I am heading down your way in March for our anual engineering conference in Lexington. I always fly to Cinci then drive the last 70 miles. I am looking to do some "shopping" during the week. I hear there is a not bad dealer in Nicholasville.

Old 01-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: hipsi
Anyone have any tips for starting the V-Force in the cold. Takes me forever even on 40-50 degree F days. I usually go full choke and blip the throttle while hitting the starter. My Raptor would start in the cold very easily compared to this quad.
i've got the same problems. it's pretty amazing. i'll crank till it seems like the battery is about to die, haha. nah, not really, but it does take a good ....30 seconds to a minute of cranking before mine will start. choke fully open even. mine sits for a while at a time though.. i tried it last week and it did the same thing, it sits in a garage, i roll it outside, try to start it, and nothing...

Old 01-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Range Rover

It gets pretty cold her in PA and mine sat for almost the last month and it started right up yesterday in less then 2 seconds.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

hmm, that sucks. haha, i was under the assumption everyone was having problems cold starting. maybe i'll have to look at mine a bit closer =]

Old 01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

You could try the fuel switch selector to PRI then switch it back once it is running. You shouldn't have to do this though as some have this issue and others do not. Talk do your dealer. If he doesn't give the answer you need then find another dealer to talk to. Mine fired up at 0 degrees F no issues after sitting outside for a week. Sounds like a fuel flow issue. The PRI will dump fuel into the carbs directly but you should not have to do it every time. Does the fuel pump run after the key is switched on??. Mine ran for 10 seconds once I turned on the key. THEN I hit the start and away it went.

Check around as this is not normal

Old 01-02-2004, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: XC800
You could try the fuel switch selector to PRI then switch it back once it is running. You shouldn't have to do this though as some have this issue and others do not. Talk do your dealer. If he doesn't give the answer you need then find another dealer to talk to. Mine fired up at 0 degrees F no issues after sitting outside for a week. Sounds like a fuel flow issue. The PRI will dump fuel into the carbs directly but you should not have to do it every time. Does the fuel pump run after the key is switched on??. Mine ran for 10 seconds once I turned on the key. THEN I hit the start and away it went.
Check around as this is not normal
hmm, ya know, when i first got the thing i do remember the pump running for a bit when the key was turned on. i've not really paid much attention the past few starts, but for some reason im thinking it might not be, because it used to be really noticeable, and i have either gotten used to it or just havent heard it lately. i'll have to check that out when i get home.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: hipsi
try checking the valve clearance set it at the high end of spec
we have a automatic compression release it opens the ex valve
starting compression is 47-81psi if it's on the low end it's not going to start good in the cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
mine at -20c sounds like it has no compression and is very hard to start

Old 01-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Its been -40 With wind chill ...Started with full choke no problem...So far.....

My rear break cable has froze a few times though..thats always fun..

Old 01-18-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

buy some startin fluid.. do a 2 second squirt right on ur air filter and wham she starts up like a kitten on crack LOL.. i used it all the time on my bayou when the carb was completely CLOGGED but i finally said f-it and payed the 500 and got a new carb (plus full servis ect ect ect)

Quick Reply: Cold Starting V-Force