Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

DG Snorkel, or Napa hose for P650?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DG Snorkel, or Napa hose fpr P650?

Do they both give the same performance gains? Do I need them at all, since I will never go underwater? I will mainly be doing desert trail riding, firebreaks and occasional duning. Should I just drill some holes in the airbox lid, and forget about them both?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider
Default DG Snorkel, or Napa hose for P650?

Neither of these are the kind of snorkels you see on mud quads.......they don't stick up through the plastic like smokestacks, they just replace the stock (restrictive) intake snorkel with a freer flowing device.

Some people say the DG snorkel really wakes up the prairie some say it's marginal at best and others say it's a waste of money.......

I'm going to do the NAPA hose snorkel on mine.....figure for 13 bucks it souldn't hurt to bad if the gains are minimal to zero. The hose you want is Napa Part number 7335.....I'm not real sure but i think it's a lower radiator hose for a nissan of some kind.......maybe a mazda....but it doesn't really matter. Just tell them you want the radiator hose p/n 7335.

To take advantage of either of the above mods a rejet will have to take place, unless you are VERY rich...which i doubt since most bikes are a tad lean from the factory. When most people put on a snorkel and add a high flow filter (Twin Air is the only available for '03 Prairie) they put a 142 in the front carb and a 145 in the rear. Wich works out pretty good because you already have teh 142 in the rear so you only have to buy the 145 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (those are Keihin or Kawie sizes, Dynojet sizes are VERY different and many people have reported problems getting the 650 to run well with dynojets).

I would NOT drill holes in the airbox lid. Several people have with mixed results.......it's hit and miss with that mod so i'd stay way from it.........

I'll prolly confuse you know.........Take a look at Dial-a-Jets. They are made by Thunder Products and are a very slick procuct. Dial-a-Jet realy isn't a carb jet at all, its a device you install in the velocity stack that adds feul/air to the mixture coming out of the carb.........(that's prolly all wrong but that's the way i understood it). You want to jet you carbs lean and let the dial-a-jet add to the mixture depending on the load the motor is under to make the air/feul mixture perfect! That confuse you? It does me so i'll link you to their site for there explanaition. It's worth a look see!!

Thunder Products Main Page

Dial-a-Jet page

Technical Explanation of Dial-a-Jets They do a MUCH better job than i do!

Damn it looks like i'm pushing dial-a-jets here and i ain't even installed them yet. If they are even half what ThunderProducts claims they are well worth consideration.

Sorry i got off your original question. Hope i helped a little.......or at least didn't confuse you to bad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
l8r
cart

Old 01-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default DG Snorkel, or Napa hose for P650?

Can anyone tell that CARTMAN is pumped about installing his Dial-a-jets...LOL...

he is right, on the snorkles... IMO, the stock snorkle is the 1st bottleneck in the air in / out system, on the Prairie... for comparision purposes, the stock snorkle, has an opening, about the size of a golf ball ( at it's most restricted point )... the DGR snorkle, or the NAPA hose, have an opening about the size of a base ball ( at it's most restricted point )... both are the same length & don't offer any deeper water fording advantages ( perhaps a little less, as the opening is bigger )... the main advantage is for performance gains...

you will not see a performance gain, if the is another bottleneck of similar resistance through out the system ( it may be the air filter, or a mud packed muffler, etc )... if the rest of the system is free flowing, then most likely, you will need to rejet with addition of the aftermarket snorkle ( basically, any time you increase / decrease the amount of air flowing through your engine, you will have to rejet )... this is why the Dial-a-jet, makes sense... if you are currently making on going changes to the performance of your quad, or running several different altitudes ( which when going higher, where the air is less dense, has the effect, of putting less air into your engine )