Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What kind of engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of engine oil?

Is the Mobil 1 redcap oil a synthetic oil? I assume the 'Red Cap' refers to the actual red cap on the quart in contrast to the black, green or blue caps? Sorry if that is an obvious question. I am just confused since all the Red Cap Mobil oil I saw at walmart was not synthetic.

Thanks!
Bryan

Old 01-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

i use the Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40. it's a fully synthetic motorcycle oil in my brute. mobil also makes a pretty good filter made for synthetic oil. i think part #M1-110 (fits brute anyway).

anyone can fall into the "mine is absolutely best" routine with the oil thing, but in reality, i think any premium synthetic within the weight and specs in your owners manual will provide superior protection. the filter is just as important.

i think the mudders probably should run cheaper fossil oil and change it a lot more often, to dump any contaminants.

monty

Old 01-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

On mine I use mobile synthetic 10W30 most of the year, in winter I put 5W30 runs fine, call me stupid but I belive oil is oil, although I put synthetic I don't belive there is much difference between the oil you pay $5.00 a quart for and the stuff you get fot $2 a quart, but again I mite be wrong, just a thought.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

ATVrider89, i kind of agree with you. i have seen some very high mileage engines that have had nothing but fossil oil. change it regularly. i had to do the research on synthetics for my Harley because the oil temps sometimes will run 250 f all day long on a hot day (even with an oil cooler). a water cooled atv should not be so hard on the oil, tho so any decent oil and good filter should work fine. select the correct weight for the temps.

the air filter has more effect on the life of the engine.

monty

Old 01-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ATVXtreme
Is the Mobil 1 redcap oil a synthetic oil? I assume the 'Red Cap' refers to the actual red cap on the quart in contrast to the black, green or blue caps? Sorry if that is an obvious question. I am just confused since all the Red Cap Mobil oil I saw at walmart was not synthetic.

Thanks!
Bryan
Mobile has changed the oils since this thread was last active. they used to have a synthetic oil with a red cap, now they are gold and silver.
Before you posted on this thread, it was last active in Jan 2004. A lot of things have changed since then...LOL

I use the Amsoil 0-40 year round with no problems at all. If you want a good oil at a good price, you can get Rotella T 5-40 synthetic for $15 a gallon at Walmart, it is one of the best rated oils on the market.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

Use any good 4 stroke motorcycle oil DON'T use car oil, it has friction inhibitors that is not good for the wet clutches. Look at it this way, you have spent all this money on your atv, so spend a little extra on the proper oil. In the long run you will be better off. The Amsoil is one of the best for this type of motor.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

Prairies don't have wet clutches, there belt drive.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Range Rover

What type of oil does your owner's manual say to use? The types of oil they recommend to use are without friction inhibitors. API SF or SG API SH or SJ with JASO MA. This is out of my 06 BF 750 manual. This type of oil is for 4 stroke motorcycles. When I bought my quad the dealer told me what ever you do DON'T use car oil.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

If you go to the amsoil website, you'll at least see the differences between petro and synthetic oil. Amsoil is manufactured in the U.S.A.

Old 01-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
If you go to the amsoil website, you'll at least see the differences between petro and synthetic oil. Amsoil is manufactured in the U.S.A.
You are correct my friend, it is very good stuff!!!

Radman, I should have clarified , if the API Service states energy conserving, you should not use it in a motorcycle or ATV, because it has friction modifiers in it. If it does not say energy conserving, it is safe to use, even with a wet clutch.