Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave wont upshift

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mojave wont upshift

Wassupwitdis?

My 01 Mo has stopped upshifting. The shift lever moves but it stays in whatever gear I was in. Sometimes I must shift the shifter 10 or more times before it will upshift to the next gear.

Going from 1st to 2nd it always goes into neutral instead of 2nd, then going from 2nd to 3rd it stays in 2nd etc.

Downshifting it does ok......Ocasionally it will hit "n" instead of 1st. The rest 5,4,3,2 are ok.

I have a Clymer book and it shows a thing called a "shift cam". Could this if it was worn cause my problem? I cant afford to tear into the trans right now plus I bring teh suk to transmission work.

AKA: I can never get them back together.

The shift cam looks to be relativly easy to access. Do I need any special tools?

Old 01-18-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its always good just to take it to a dealership [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

operator error.. lol jk sorry hadda say it

sounds like maybe you stripped some gears in your tranny.
should probably take it to the dealer to get it checked out.

i know i miss a shift from 1-2 but i know nothing is wrong w/ my tranny. its cuz of operator error.

hope ya get it fixed

aaron

Old 01-19-2004, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem it was the reverse cable stuck in between check your cable

Old 01-19-2004, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

I cannot afford the dealer right now with tax season just around the corner.

If the gears were stripped then they would not work at all. The gears will work and there is no noise if the shifter will move em. Something is worn or broken with the shifting mechanism.

Huskerjim: how did you fix yours?

Old 01-19-2004, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

chris first you need to check to see if your reverse side cover on your motor take it off there is about 5 bolts hold it on you will have to remove a few things to get it off but I had 3 mojave's and two of them go mud and water in there and made it stick and it was in between reverse and first gear and it caused what you said your having problems with it wouldn't go out of first gear it was doing real strange things. take cover off clean it up use fine sand paper to clean rust up and repack with sea water grease only it will help it so as not to do it again. don't loose that spring in their it takes forever to get another one from Kawasaki, lube the cable again put it together and I hope your in biz again, I really think you have that problem. it was a flaw with them bikes they all get water in that cover and it's bad news.

Old 01-19-2004, 03:56 AM
Trailblazer

Chris,
Huskerjim is absolutely right. I've had the same problem twice and had to open up the reverse cover and clean and lube. I never tried the marine grease-good idea.
Sometimes the shift shaft will also wear down inside (not the gears or shift forks)(you can't tell by looking at it) You take the shift lever off, remove the clutch cover and clutch and slide a new shaft from that side all the way through. Easy but it takes some time. It worked for me when my mohave wouldn't downshift.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

You need to modify your shift pawl by filing the two slots a little deeper. this is a known problem and one that Kawi put a TSB out on. Email me at cgreene@yorktech.com and I will send you a pic of how to modify it. You will have to take the clutch side cover off to get to it.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mojaveaddict
You need to modify your shift pawl by filing the two slots a little deeper. this is a known problem and one that Kawi put a TSB out on. Email me at cgreene@yorktech.com and I will send you a pic of how to modify it. You will have to take the clutch side cover off to get to it.

I got the clutch cover, clutch and the shifting "stuff" off tonight. I don't see anything wrong with the shift shaft setup but I plan on replacing all the parts since i'm there.

i'll check the reverse stuff when I get this side back together. This is a desert bike thats never seen deep water, but i'll check that too.

Moaddict you have an e-mail. thx!

Old 01-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Replace the shift cam and the plate that hooks to you shift shaft that goes over your shift cam and that will fix it.

Quick Reply: Mojave wont upshift