Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt slipping !!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt slipping !!!!!!!!!

Hi guys me again just got the bike from the shop Wednesday they reshimmed the clutch again they said it is on the snug side of the adjustment so I said good took it out today for about a half an hour I tore the snot out of it, now when you stop the belt squeals from being too tight and the bike slightly creeps ahead while sitting in gear. also now when you come to a hard spot like a snow bank to go over it will not go over it or spin it will sit there and burn the belt smoke will fly out of it and you can smell the rubber. so what do you suppose is wrong with this thing? the new 700 belt only has 30 miles on it. any info would be greatly appreciated because you guys know alot more than the dealer.it has to go back to the dealer again!! skun happy riding... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Even if your belt only has 30 miles on it, it sounds like it might be junked already. Once you flat spot a belt its pretty much worthless. Even if it will still move the machine a flat spotted belt will really raise cain with the pullys. I'm not sure what caused the belt to slip in the first place it might have been used a little hard before it had time to wear in or perhaps the dealer set up was off, or even a small amout of grease or oil on the pullys. I know on my sled it takes a few miles for a belt to mate to the pullys and you have to be careful taking of from a stop for a while or you can smoke them, especially ith 140 hp. Shiming the clutch tight is common, allowing a new belt to wear in without having to reshim the pullys so I wouldn't think that would be a problem on an ATV. Either way I bet you need a new belt especially once you see smoke. If you get a new belt installed try breaking it in for an hour or to before you flog it this will allow the belt to stretch a little and mate to the pullys. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

Kinda sounds to me like you got the belt wet
Maybe sucked a little snow down the snorkel
Pretty easy to do with really fine snow
Usually running in low will prevent this and its alot better on your belt

Old 02-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

My bets are on when they had the bike appart greese got on the belt.