Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Mojave that runs rich at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mojave that runs rich at idle?

I need some help with a mojave that runs rich at idle. We have taken the carb off 3 times and clean the carb with carb cleaner to no avail. And we have adjusted the valves but think they could be to tight, because it just doesn't idle smooth like it did. It pops out the exhaust at idle. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer

1mojave,

Here are a couple of things you could examine (you may already have, but anyway...). If you dont have a service manual and need the specs, I can get them for you.

1. Check the sparkplug to ensure that it is clean and is gapped properly.

2. Adjust the air/fuel mixture on the carb. (Turn the screw out slightly to make it more lean)

3. Check the float level of the carb.

4. Check for restrictions in air getting to the carburator. (clogged filter, etc.)

5. Varify your valve clearance adjustment. (If you have questions about this, just ask)

Do you have aftermarket exhaust or a jet kit?

Is it easy to start or do you have to kick it over and over again?

Aside from idle, how does it perform?

Old 02-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

The atv is all stock. I dont think it's hard to start but with it running rich like it does sometimes you have to kick it a time or two and hold the throttle open a little. When it comes back to idle you have to kept it running with your thumb. It runs great above idle. I think I might of adjusted the valves a little tight because someone said to set them at 6 to 8 thousand. It has a new spark plug,air filter is clean,float level is at specs,idle mixture screw is at 1-3/4 turns. How do you set the valves? And do you use the marks on the cams for setup?

Old 02-05-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the cam gears you will see a dot on each. Put the dot on the intake gear just above the edge of the head. The exhaust dot should be in the same place but opposite [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] So basically you want the intake dot at 3 O'clock and the exhaust dot at 9 O'clock. Adjust them on a cold engine to .008 to .010.