Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New Prairie CDI

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004 | 10:32 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

Half baked?! well, yeah, that's true ;-). I did it in about 30 min because I wanted to get the info out to you guys as soon as possible.

You did hit on something important NYROC, I didn't put much 'opinion performance data' on the pages. The reason is that I haven't had good enough weather to do some runs with the Tazzo. I'd like to have some information that is at least repeatable by someone with the same mods I have. As soon as we get a weekend that is in the 40* range, I’ll do some runs and post the data. My plan is to do the same runs with both the stock and the Dyna CDI. Unfortunately all I can tell you right now is my opinion – it kicks butt.

The empirical information that I can give is this:

- It is a direct replacement and fits without modification
- It works flawlessly
- I had no ride-ability or operating issues
- It’s been wet, muddy and frozen on my Prairie without issue

The new CDI is not programmable.

I don’t know if it is going to be introduced at Indy, but I will ask.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 02-11-2004 | 12:01 PM
Range Rover
Default New Prairie CDI

I guess this kinda leaves diamondG looking kinda stupid, since is was suppose to be them that was releasing a cdi in the first place, then their unlimiter. (-: Glad to hear that there's something finally available for us.
cheers

Old 02-11-2004 | 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

The Prairie igniter was so complicated to make, only someone like Dyna or MSD could afford to make it happen, since they already make similar devices, and have a staff of Engineers to work on it, hardware, software, testing, etc. How could a small company beat them with a limited budget and one Design Engineer? I am glad one of the bigger companies finally took interest, but I hope the smaller ones continue to make the smaller and cheaper things that the big companies would never even start working on. I can't wait to see how Dyna's igniter compares to Mickey D's or Procomms.

Old 02-11-2004 | 01:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

Too bad it isn't programmable like the Dyna's I run on my banshees. The programmability is awesome.

To anyone interested in it: Dyna's customer service is second to none!!! I have sent back two of their ignitions because I thought they had problems and they sent me new ones each time no-questions asked. They tested the ignitions for free and mailed out new ones. Come to find out, the problem was that I wasn't running resistor spark plugs! So it was my fault the ignition messed up anyway. Their products are great.

Remember, RUN RESISTOR PLUGS!!!!!!

Old 02-11-2004 | 02:45 PM
Range Rover
Default New Prairie CDI

Just out of curiosity how long was this product in development?

Old 02-11-2004 | 02:50 PM
Range Rover
Default New Prairie CDI

Alltoys/SgtRock Can we run a offset key with the CDI? I have the key now and i would like to get the cdi. But before the install a cdi should i remove the offset key? Thanks for your time!!

Old 02-11-2004 | 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

This is great news. Finally what we've been waiting for.

I can't wait to hear more info on the performance gains of this new CDI.

Old 02-11-2004 | 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

I want to switch one that I can from 650 to my 700. If I can't can I take the CDI from my 700 to beef up the 650? Alltoys clutch mods? I need to know about that too!

Old 02-11-2004 | 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

You can't easily use the 700 CDI on a 02 650 because the plugs are different. If you had wiring diagrams, you couldhard wire a 700 CDI to an 02 650 (or vice versa). The 03 650 plug is like the 700.

Kawasaki engineers have said that 32 degrees is optimal. If you use a key with a high enough offset, you may wind up losing power. I don't know how much timing you need to loose power, but it depends on fuel octane, quality, RPM, humidity. If you have a 4 degree key, it may not do anything. I would probably take an 8 or 10 degree key out. One of these high tech gizmo guys mentioned that he ran 45 degrees once. Nothing bad happened, not even pinging, but he lost a lot of power.

Old 02-11-2004 | 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default New Prairie CDI

I posted a link to this thread on the H/L forum, very early this morning. Needless to say, it was deleted by noontime. "Competitive advertizing rules", they said. More like "Oh no!! What are we going to do with all these modules" ??!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I thought discussing a new product would be allowed! Anyone else want to try posting it at H/L?

Quick Reply: New Prairie CDI