Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

some one update me

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004 | 07:42 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default some one update me

I unfortunately have not been on this site very much in the past 11 months or so...The last I had heard "Bearman" was trying to complete his cdi. Now there is all this talk about different CDIs and HL modules yada yada yada... Can someone give me a brief update of what is happening. It also appears to be some contrversy over these units. From your perspective which is the better way to go...

Old 02-14-2004 | 03:05 AM
Pro Rider

Dash,
Here's a brief run down as I see it.

Bearman's cdi project was killed by Mitsubishi (Mit. sued and won...Bearman had to destroy its prototype cdi and was barred from selling it). Bearman then produced the DG holeshot module (similar to module already produced in Canada) which eliminates the bottom-end retarded timing that exists in stock cdi by sending a false signal to stock cdi that the quad is moving faster than it really is.

Bearman (aka Don at DG) has been working on an unlimiter module for several months. This module is supposed to complement the DG Holeshot module by eliminated the top-end retarded timing that exists with stock cdi and perhaps add degrees to the timing. He hinted last November that it was very close to production and as of early-January (when I called them last), I was told that DG ran into some kind of problem with the unlimiter and it went back to R&D...would be at least a few more months until its ready for production.

In Jan, Highlifter started taking orders for their new "and improved" version of the holeshot module. They posted a dyno run (using AC650) to show how their module improves 5hp at low end, 3 hp at mid range and 1 or 2 hp at top-end (these are approx and I could be off a little here). They refuse to compare thier module's performance to other modules (like DG's holeshot mod), but claim theirs is unique somehow.

Earlier this week, some folks who have tested a prototype cdi for the P650/P700 announced that Dyna Tech is about to release a new cdi in March/early April. Price has not been set yet, but speculation is $250 to $300 or more for this cdi. Basically, the advantage is that the new cdi is plug and play (its simply replaces stock cdi), its timing map eliminated the retarded timing that the stock cdi has for reverse, low-end and top-end. The new cdi also increases max timing from 28 degrees (stock) to 33 degrees and holds it to rev limit. The new cdi also increase rev limit a little, but most folks think a stock P650/P700 motor will not hit the rev limit set by stock cdi. Only downside is this new cdi is NOT programmable.

Speculation is that another company will soon release its aftermarket cdi for the P650/P700.

Conclusion, if you don't already own a holeshot module and money is no issue, wait for the new cdi from Dyna. If you already have a holeshot module, then you might consider buying a flywheel key (less than $20) and installing it...the module + flywheel key combo will probably give you 90% of the benefits of a new cdi at 50% of the cost of the new cdi.

THE SAGA CONTINUES...

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004 | 03:17 AM
|
Pro Rider

Mikey.

Ahhhhhh haaaaaaaaaa... It makes sense now. I appreciate the brief yet concise summary. I'll take your advice and wait til the Dyna is out. Thanks again

Old 02-14-2004 | 03:43 AM
Pro Rider

Your welcome. That's a good idea to wait on the new Dyna cdi.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2004 | 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

Mikey;

You should have been a news reporter, that's a good summary.

Old 02-14-2004 | 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I agree! That was a very good summary of what I have been reading for the last year and a half!

Old 02-14-2004 | 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Shotgun and Brian T,
Thanx for the kind words! I'm not a news reporter, but I play one on TV! j/k [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2004 | 01:42 AM
Pro Rider

Great job! does this new CDI work on the 360? or is there one available?

Old 02-16-2004 | 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

eiger2,
I don't believe the new Dyna cdi is designed for the P360 nor have I heard of an aftermarket cdi for that quad. But then again, I haven't been on the lookout for P360 mods, so maybe one exists.

Good luck in finding one and Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2004 | 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

It looks like the only way to get a new CDI is if it is attached to 700 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Now my wife is ready to let me trade up from the Eiger so we are going to try to get a package deal for the E and the p360. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]