Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Warn 2.5ci electrical questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004 | 01:02 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Warn 2.5ci questions

I decided to clean up my warn winch, it was so full of dirt and bad grease I had to clean it out. I got it all back together and working properly. My question is about wiring. When I bought Kawi it came with a Superwinch on it, I had a bad experience with superwinches in the past so I swapped my Warn from my Cat to the Kawi but kept the stock Superwinch wiring. As it sits now with the super wiring the winch works but will shut down after severe pulling. What happens is the winch will stop working when pulling hard, then a few seconds later it will work again. It scares you sometimes, it would suck to have the winch cable tight and the quad stuck by yourself.

I know I should of snagged the warn wiring too but I was selling my Cat the next day and the winch worked so I let it go, ran out of time. So now I want to fix my shut down problem, I want to scrap the super winch wiring totally, maybe keep the switch and beef up my wiring to 6 guage. Do you guys think this will help my winch from not shutting down? Is it shutting down because of not getting enough power because the wires are not capable of providing it and it turns itself off because its just sitting and would burn itself out if it kept going? I know long sentence, I hope it makes sense.

If anyone can provide some feedback or ideas it would help, thanks for reading.

Old 02-16-2004 | 07:35 AM
Trailblazer

You can buy a wiring kit from warn it's called an upgrade kit for the 2.0 winch. It is the same wiring as the
2.5. You can look at it here but you have to buy it from a warn dealer.

http://www.warn.com/atv/accessories/...gradeKit.shtml

Old 02-16-2004 | 09:41 AM
|
Pro Rider

I could do that but thats very expensive, I don't think I need the solenoid and I already have a switch. If my cheap method fails to work any better I may buy this kit.

Old 02-16-2004 | 03:45 PM
|
Pro Rider

Bump.....I have two other question.

If I used 6 guage wire from the battery to the winch would that be enough or would I have to run it to the switch as well?

Do I need to use the super switch or can I just buy my own? Would that work? Is it dangerous?

Old 02-16-2004 | 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warn 2.5ci electrical questions

You may be over working the winch. A direct line of pull can be more load than one may think. I don't think the duty cycle is 100% under a certain load. I use my block as much as I can to double the pulling power and save my winch.

Old 02-16-2004 | 04:37 PM
|
Pro Rider

I never once had a problem with the winch on my Cat, I very certain the wiring is to blame. Does the solenoid the 2500 comes with, does it do anything else besides send power to the winch when the key is on? Does it somehow regulate voltage or increase it?

Old 02-16-2004 | 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

It may be you solenoid geting hot . you can buy a solenoid at napa. It is a continuos duty solenoid. ST-80 is
the napa part #. try hooking the wires from the switch straight to the batt without the solenoid and see if that helps. If it takes care of it then you will know that was the problem. If it is your wiring,the wires will be very hot

Old 02-16-2004 | 06:18 PM
|
Pro Rider

I'm going to try that, I will have to look at how the super winch was wired up, I think there was a solenoid inline with the wires or something. I got some 6 guage wire today from work, I will be trying some things out tonight.