Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Uh, Oh....I hope I didn't screw up

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uh, Oh....I hope I didn't screw up

I was going to cancel my order for the HL module, but it came before I could cancel. So I decided to install it to try it out. I know three others who have 650's and could sell the thing to one of them if I decided to get the new CDI. I haven't cranked it in several weeks and probably should have cranked it before I installed it. But I did install it and was going to try it out. I hit the starter and it made half a revolution and locked up. I really hope that it's vapor lock and not something the module did. The gas was left on, which I usually remember to turn off. I've never had vapor lock before and don't know if what I have is vapor lock or module problems. I triple checked to make sure I was splicing the right wires. I didn't get a chance to pull the plugs because it was late and cold. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow and see if pulling the plugs will help in case it's vapor lock. Any chance I might have screwed it up?

Old 02-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

You don't have vapor lock. Vapor lock is when the fuel gets too hot, and turns to vapor. The fuel pump can't pump vapor, so no fuel gets to the carb, and it won't run, but the engine will still turn over. What you have is called hydro lock. It's when a liquid(water or fuel) enters the combustion chamber, and it won't allow the piston to rise in the cylinder(because you can't compress a liquid). Anyway, I hope it's nothing serious![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Pull your oil dipstick and smell your oil , but if it is that full that your motor wont turn over than it will run out when you pull the dipstick. If thats not the case then charge your battery, but i doubt you did anything with the module to make it do that. I have seen many 650's do what you are describing and they were all hydro locked.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I had that once. You remove the plugs and crank it. I removed the pull cord housing and turned the engine backwards (didn't remove plugs). That made the gas go into the exhaust. Then I started it. I had no gas in my oil.

Next time, either turn the gas switch off when you park it, or fill the tank when you park it. For some reason it doesn't happen when the tank is full on american 650s. Canadian 650s have this problem much worse.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I never had anything like this yet knock on wood. I never shut my gas off or fill it when I park it. I think because it normally can not sit still for more than 3 days is why I haven't seen this yet.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

irregardless, the module would have nothing to do with it locking up...

Old 02-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

It's running fine now. Thanks for your help. When I tried it, I opened the gas tank to relieve pressure and pulled the cord slowly until it broke loose and then it pulled over easier. Anyway, like I said, the HL module came in and I decided to give it a try. I have a 2003 but never had another module to compare it to. It's a substantial improvement on the bottom end. The front end could come up in low but now it will come off the ground in high even when my weight is forward (I weigh 250 lbs). But I tried easing along at 5 mph and went WOT and couldn't really tell a difference in the acceleration. It may be better, but I can't seem to notice it. It may not help anymore other than on the bottom end, but for now it's a really nice improvement. I'm not sure on the debate about whether it does anymore than other modules, but as of right now, I can't tell much difference in mid to high.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

RebelDS - change your oil. It's most likely badly diluted with gasoline now.