Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

messed up dial-a-jet install!! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up dial-a-jet install!! HELP!!

Cover your a$$. Make the phone call.

Old 02-25-2004, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

OH YEAH!!!!! tightened up the replacement screws and overflow problem vanished!!!!! This thing is almost scary!! I have a stumble off idle and really lean at idle. How do i cure this? Turn the mixture screws out 1/2 turn? Which screws are these. I get that stumble cured and it WILL be scary!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

thanks for the help fellas
cart

Old 02-25-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cartman,
Don't have an answer to your last question. Just wanted to ask if you put teflon tape on the brass replacement screws. I used the tape and the brass screws went in all the way to the last thread. I have not started it up yet to see if they leak, but it has not leaked so far while just sitting in my garage. I'm waiting to get my muffler back from a welder (I did the Nyroc mod this week too) so that I can start it and test out my quad with the new mods installed.

Also, did you use grommets to seal off the air box holes where the fuel and air snorkel lines go to the DAJ? I used a total of 4 grommets (1 for each line), but I'm not sure if they were really necessary to get a good seal. I just wanted the extra protection in case I go too deep in water.

BTW, I was up til 4am last night installing the DAJ and Napa hose snorkel (both mods took me a total of 7 hours to complete, including time to disassemble and reassemble the front fenders/racks and clean up the dirty parts such as the air box and CVT exhaust snorkel). I probably could have finished it faster, but I took my time drilling out the 8 holes in the air box (4 for hoses and 4 to mount the DAJ bodies to the air box). I was tempted to use tie wraps to mount the DAJ bodies to the venturi stacks so that I didn't have to drill 4 extra holes in my air box, but decided to go ahead and drill the holes afterall...I sure hope this DAJ works b/c my air box is now full of holes and there is no going back!!!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Pro Rider

hey mickey!

Yep i put teflon tape on my screws. I wasn't having a problem with leakage around the screws. The problem was that I had feul running out of the carb vent line as fast as the fuel pump would pump. I guess there is a coupling in the float bowl that the screws need to engage to seal off the vent lines After i wrenched them down a bit i fired it up and still had a bit of a drip but a couple more turns on the front carb and no more drip!!!!!

Before i go for a good ride i'm gonna either seal off the airbox with silicone or some Scotchkote that i have for protecting my splices on the HL module.

Seven hours!! Man you musta been really taking your time...........it took me about three to get the DAJ, in and screw up my radiator hose.........i think it's salvagable but i was so pevved i just put the stock snorke back on.

Did you ever get you switch wired up? mines on the HL module and is working great!.

type at ya later
cart

Old 02-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Cartman,
Wow...you did it in 3 hours...now that's kick'n some butt. Yep, I usually take my time when I do mods...you know what they say, measure twice and cut once.

With respect to your carb leak, the original drain screws basically functioned by blocking the flow of fuel from the carb bowl to the drain tubes when they were screwed all the way up to the seat. When you backed out these drain screws, the flow opened up and it drained the fuel from the carb bowls. That is why you must screw the brass DAJ replacement screws all the way up to the seat (but not overtightened it!) so that these replacement screws will block the flow of fuel from the carb bowls to the drain tube...of course, these new screws actually re-route the fuel flow to the DAJ bodies.

I think you should definitely go buy another $13 Napa hose and try installing it again. The extra air from the Napa hose should make your DAJ perform better (remember that the carbs must be in a lean condition in order for the DAJ to work properly). Let us know how it performs after you install the Napa hose...I'm guessing it will run even better!

As far as installing a switch, I presume you are referring to the switch on my DG holeshot. If so, Yes it is installed a long time ago and it works flawlessly...altho I have to admit that its turned "on" 99% of the time. I have found that only turn it "off" when novice riders like my wife ride it, especially if they are gonna ride it on pavement.

I haven't started mine since I got my DAJ and Napa hose installed this week b/c I'm still waiting on my muffler to be welded back together (after Nyroc Mod)....I should receive it from the welding shop this evening or tomorrow...I'm very excited about putting the muffler on and trying it out with all the new mods! It should really breath better now. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

maybe i shoulda read you signature [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]..heh. I think i can trim up the hose i have and use it.......i was just really mad when i screwed it up and i tend not to think straight when i'm that mad...........

can you tell me where the idle screws are??? i need to richen up my idle and get ride of that stumble.

thanks
cart

Old 02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Cartman,
You will find a pic of the carbs and the various screws on www.atvpower.com Go to the link under Prairie and then hit the link for P650 Jetting Recommendations. Its a pdf file with general instructions on rejetting and it shows a pic with the pilot screw labelled. If I'm not mistaken, the pilot screw is the same thing as an idle mixture screw.

One word of advice, install the Napa hose BEFORE you adjust the pilot/idle mixture screws because the extra air from the Napa hose may change the need to adjust the pilot/idle mixture OR it may require you to adjust the pilot screw even more.

PS - Not that it matters, but I noticed that you keep calling me "Mickey"...but my actual nick name for purposes of this forum is "Mikeyboy" or "Mikey" for short. Either way, its nicer than the nickname my wife has for me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good luck and Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

Did any one adjust their needle spacing when they installed the daj? I know when I jetted the Warrior I replaced the needle, and it made a difference in the acceleration. But with the daj is it necessary?

Old 02-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Jswope,

Installing Dial a jets will richen the A/F ratio from off-idle thru WOT...so there should be no need to change out needles or main jets if you install DAJ (assuming that your carbs are running a little lean to begin with...this is b/c the DAJ only works properly if the carbs are adjusted lean.

However, installing DAJs don't change the A/F ratio at idle. So if you are too lean at idle before installing DAJ, then you will still be too lean after installation of DAJ. I'm not an expert at jetting, but I believe that you can either adjust the idle mixture screw or change out the pilot jet to richen the A/F mixture at idle speeds.

Hope this info help...Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2004, 04:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Mikey, Hopefully I can start working on it this weekend it supposed to be 50 on Sunday!! AND THE WIFE HAS TO WORK!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: messed up dial-a-jet install!! HELP!!