Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

will mod this weekend - need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default will mod this weekend - need advice...

Jswope,
Keep in mind that one person's jetting may be completely different from another person's jetting requirements even if they have the exact same quad and the exact same mods...this may occur due to differences in altitude and/or temperature.

You are correct in that adding a higher flowing air snorkel/air filter/muffler will increase air flow and usually lean out the carbs. Depending on your elevation, you may need to rejet after doing these mods to get a proper A/F ratio (and thereby get the max hp available). This week, I did the Nyroc Muffler mod, Napa hose, Dial a Jets and added a twin air filter to my P650. Haven't started it up yet as I'm now waiting on the local welding shop to weld my muffler back together. You will notice that instead of rejetting, I added the DAJs, but either way should work to richen the fuel mixture and bring you A/F ratio back to where it should be to produce the most ponies.

BTW, one welder quoted me 20 or 25 bucks to weld my muffler back together and another quoted me 10 bucks...guess which one I chose!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CF&W and Mikey- Thanx for the info. I thought I had the theory down. BTW how was the install on your DAJ's?

Old 02-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Jswope,
I did the DAJ and Napa hose installation 2 nights ago. I found it very easy to install the DAJs, but a little time consuming. I probably could have done it much faster, but I like to take my time on mods like this one...especially when you have to drill 8 holes in your air box (4 for the fuel and air lines and 4 to mount the DAJ units). Including the tear down of my front racks/fenders and reassembly time (and the time to clean some parts like the air box and CVT exhaust snorkel), it took me a total of 7 hours to install the DAJs and Napa hose. I think Cartman installed his DAJ in about 3 hours. Like I said, I took my time and that's probably why it took me much longer to do.

The only advice I could give regarding DAJ installation is to make sure you are drilling the holes in the air box in the right spot BEFORE you actually drill them. You don't want to have to patch a hole b/c you mistakenly drilled it in the wrong spot or drilled the hole too big. I installed rubber grommets in the 4 holes where the lines come in and go out of the airbox to the DAJ units, but this step was optional. Also, its a good idea to use teflon tape on the 2 brass replacement screws that go into the carb bowls and make sure you screw them in all the way (or else the drain tubes will leak gasoline when the engine runs), but don't overtighten them (or else you will strip the brass screws).

Good luck and Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I took mine to a muffler shop. They advertised mufflers, exhaust, and welding. They said they could do it and they did. Cost me about $20 and took them about 15 minutes.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

Rebel/anyone else who did the Nyroc Mod,

Did you bother to paint your muffler after it was welded back together? I am thinking of painting mine after I get it back from the welding shop...but not confident that the bbq pitt/hi heat paint that I have will hold up well. The bbq/hi heat paint that I have (which is Rustoleum brand) eventually peeled off my bbq pitt and I'm concerned it will do the same on my muffler after several uses.

What type of paint did you use if you painted yours?

Old 02-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

Go to an auto parts place and get high temp engine enamel, it is like 500 degree paint. I haven't done the mod yet, but am soon. I use it when I rebuild car/truck engines, on the block and heads. I guess you could get header paint, it is rated 1200 degrees.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
I'm doing the same mods as you, then wait for the new cdi to come out and do that. I've been told you have to rejet with more air. Also, I've read to do the WOT shutdown and plug check to see if rejetting is needed.

Am waiting for a jetting answer right along with you. Thanks for any info fellas.
What is the WOT shutdown and plug check to see if rejetting is needed. please advise.......

Old 02-26-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

WAO,
You warm up the quad and then run it for a short distance at 3/4 to WOT. While its still moving...you hit the kill switch (but don't let off the throttle until after the motor has died). THen after you come to a stop...let the motor cool off and pull the plugs to read the color. Black means the main jets are too rich, White means the main jets are too lean, light brown means your are jetted correctly.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]