Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

New clutch....25% gain???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch....25% gain???

Wonder if that Black primary spring will fit my stock clutch?

Kevin?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, Comet springs will work in the V, I ran the Comet red/blue for a while. They measure their springs differently though, the Comet black is approx. 37/172 when converted to the numbers you are used to.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Shotgun,
Does the new clutch allow for Helix removal so we can change the Helix on demand. I have modded my clutch to get another 15mph out of it I would like to play with the Helix if possible. Not now of course maybe in 3 weeks LOL.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Alltoys;

When I first posted, I was talking about the 103HPQ, high performance clutch, that Wolf brothers Racing had Comet make for them.

DWB, posted a link to the Polaris site where they were talking about this clutch and also the TEAM secondary clutch.

So we're kinda talking about both.

Yes, the TEAM secondary clutch has a removeable Helix, but like Dale, (Helix), said it wouldn't work as it is, on the Kawasaki's because it would be wound backwards, because it's made for a Polaris. As you know the Polaris clutches are on the opposite side from Kawa's.

Hope your feeling better.

Old 04-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I was referring to the COMET clutch for the primary....the one I have is for a polaris,but the threads on the SPIDER would be the wrong direction for a right side application.

I remember when some guys used to build open mod drag sleds,and put a clutch on both ends of an engine,and a secondary on both ends of the jackshaft . (I have cut mirror image helixes for the right side secondary clutches),....Anyway,they would sometimes spit off the spider on the right side because the threads were the wrong direction.

I assume comet would thread it the other way for a kawi application.

A comet may work well for some people who like to experiment if they do their homework. Ever put a Ski doo TRA clutch on a polaris or cat snowmobile??.. 12degree sheaves vs 13.5 on a polaris,different spider/ roller geometry .....It usually takes some fooling around is all I'm saying.

Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Helix, do you guy's carry the plastic buttons to fit the Kawi primary?If you do, would you be able to replace them for a fella?I don't have the gear to get it apart and I kinda have a thing about going to the dealer in town ,there.

I'm also looking for an excuse to drop in on you there, one of these days.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Helix,
It shouldn't be a problem to weld over those threads on both parts then remachine anticlockwise threads for the right side. Your machinist buddy will be able to do this. Does the shaft size match from the Pol to the Kawi that would be the biggest problem the threads no problem.

Shotgun,
When I machine my clutches I cut a different angle to the sheaves plus a higher ramp so a 360 belt will run out to the top of the front sheaves. My clutch will also ramp up faster than the stock clutch due to the different angle I cut on the sheaves. This eventually takes more torque from the motor that can be adjusted by springs and adjustable weights. I can make my tires spin like crazy or load up the drive system to keep maximum torque where it is supposed to be. What I want to do is to tune my clutches more precisely with different angles on the helix,( hi Helix buddy ).

Old 04-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Helix,

I need a little help understanding why the threading on the spider would make a difference. If the spider threads were the only thing holding the clutch on I could see it. But, the center bolt is locking down the assembly correct?

Old 04-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Range Rover

DWB, the spider threads onto the center shaft that the bolt tightens onto so the bolt actually doesn't hold it since. If the centrifugal force/vibration did loosen the spider threads, all that would be holding it from backing right off the threads would be the primary spring. Hope that makes sense and helps. It made no sense to me til I was messing around with the primary on my old Polaris last night, after a good look at it I was able to see exactly what Helix meant.

Old 04-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Kingmort,sorry,I do not.

Alltoys,
Glad you are ok,just read about your accident.
Oh yeah,like I mentioned earlier,you could simply put a spot of alum weld on the spider to keep it from coming loose to do a test,it's not like these things are a 250hp rig anyways.I was only stating that it may not be for everybody,but probably great for people who truly do like to do things on their OWN while experimenting.I just look at how many guys that complain about using this clutch on a polaris(which it is almost identical to),simply because they do not have a lot of hands on experiance on cvt drive clutches.I guess I just hate to see too many of the wrong people go out and buy something like this for the wrong reason and expecting to see huge gains on prairies for trailable applications,..then end up frustrated and out money.
I hope comet does build a kawi version,especially because it would give a much cheaper option for people who need a new clutch,...and also for certain types of people who don't mind loseing EBS and like to experiment for race applications may find a setup that suits them.

DWB, .....like 589650 says.
When the spider unwinds,it only has to go out a bit,and then the tip of the weights go off the end of the roller on the spider and something breaks. It is the same reason right side applications have a left hand thread center bolt. And like 589650 says the center bolt only holds the center shaft that the spider winds onto.

Quick Reply: New clutch....25% gain???