Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

p700 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p700 coolant leak

Got an 04 p700 with about 40 hrs on it. I packed it up for a 2hr. drive to a new riding area. (Majestic Trails in PA. ) Took off from the trailhead and got about 1/2 of a mile and noticed that sickening sweet smell of hot anti freeze and then all kinds of steam coming from the engine. Made it back to the truck and started to take off things to see where it was leaking from. At this point I was hoping it was a loose clamp. I had to take off the top plastic + airbox assy. ( oh yeh, it was raining . That sure was fun) I started it up and every time I hit the gas a steady stream of anti freeze came shooting out from the base of a pipe that came out of the top of the head. Dis- connected that and found out the "O" ring was split. To make a long story short, I found one at a true value hardware store in Bradford PA. about 10 miles away. Same exact size...get this ...for 29 cents (probably 5 bucks at a dealer). Re installed it , topped off the anti freeze and made two 16 mile loops of the atv park. What a great day of riding. I love this thing. Nothing better than engine breaking when your commin down the mountain. (after a week of rain). My question is , has anyone ever expierienced this before? and if so dont overlook your neighbor-hood hardware store :-) . Thanks all and have fun ridin. Oh yeh I forgot to mention, I have to send out a big thank you to some guys who lent me some tools I needed to finish this job. If any of you folks who read this ride in N.Y. or PA. and are ever in a jamb or need anything, dont hesitate to ask a fellow rider...It may be me! and I will surely do what I can to help because its my turn to repay the kindness done to me. We are fortunate to have such a great group of people involved in our sport. Sorry for the long post but that last part was impotant to me. Take care, Bob

Old 04-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

wow... nice to hear you caught it and got it fixed quickly.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Trailblazer

I have K700 with 15 hours on it and I have also noticed the same smell and steam coming from the motor. We are are driving in alot of water and mud from the spring thaw right now and I attributed the steam to that. I noticed yesterday that my coolant level was down slightly. I have to take the bike to the dealer for it's first service at 20 hours. I will bring this up to them, thanks for the heads-up. By the way, love the K700, one more good reason to hit the trails.