Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Prairie 650 Front Drive Shaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 650 Front Drive Shaft problem

Last time I took the bike out I noticed a clunking sound coming from the bike. My initial impression was that the swing arm bearings were finally going. Last night I took the rear wheels off and tried moving the swing arm around. No play and no clunk. So I started doing some more research and finally found my clunk.

The noise seems to be coming from under the motor where the front drive shaft connects to the front of the motor. If I put both feet on the front part of the floor boards and start jumping up and down, you can hear the shaft making a clunking noise. Also if I rock the bike front to back, I can hear the shaft make the clunking noise. If I grab the shaft and twist it sideways, there is a bit of play, and you can hear the clunking, but not as loud as when you rock it or jump on the floor boards. I don't know if the shaft has always had that play, but I know that it never made that kind of clunk before. Also if I give the bike a bit of throttle, and let off you can hear the clunk also.

Anybody ever had a semilar problem? I wonder what could be causing this?

Old 04-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Dan mine had a little play when I checked. Not enough for me to worry about mine, made a small noise thou not worried yet about mine, I wouldn't heard it over the engine. check your engine bolts and front diff bolts that would give you more play = more noise.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Range Rover

Anyone ever have to remove the front drive shaft oil seal?? Damn stick went between the two stock plates and right into the driveshaft seal in the engine case a few weeks ago, and now it has a slight drip when it sits in the garage..... Doesn't seem to lose any oil while running it. But, now I have a FULL Richocet skid plate!!! It looks like it's going to be a B!tch to get to that seal!!