Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

newbeatle Im not sure I just know i had a major problem with it on my quad.Its been in shop now for at least 2 weeks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

read this thread, really wanted to keep away from the CDI until it was tested and proven. Really can not see me ordering one now! I don't see why some would have problems and other wouldn't but I know the freqency thingy works differently on each atv so go figure. The starting issue: what happens when you pull start the machine? did anyone try that? I wouldn't even touch a CDI that kick back in my POV it's not worth the headaches. Does it really matter if you are on an 02 03 or 04? What about stuff like jets and mods? any one with mods that have the Kick back try putting back to stock condition and see... If 2 CDIs are together and one kicks back and one does if you swap does the kick back migrate?

Old 05-13-2004, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Is there any way to take a poll and accurately determine how many of us have the Dyna CDI as opposed to how many of us are having problems with it?

Old 05-13-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the Dyna cdi is having trouble keeping track of which cylinder to fire on start-up? If a big company like Dyna can't release a bug free cdi then who can? I guess DG was telling the truth when they said it wasn't easy and they would never release anything that wasn't 100% reliable. I hope Dyna takes care of any damage their cdi causes to peoples ATV's. So far Dyna is telling people that returned their cdi's that most of them are OK and that their battery must be low? I think that is baloney and heres why; Some guy on a Prairie 700 was riding at Davenport Mountain last weekend and his Dyna cdi was kicking back against the engine. It made a loud clank, like the engine fired at the wrong time and hammered his starter. I told him about the low battery thing so we put jumper cables between his Prairie and his truck, a Dodge cummins dually. He hit the starter and it still kicked back. The kickback seemed random and happened maybe 3 out of ten tries. So much for the voltage theory Dyna, you better figure this one out quick, this guy was not a happy camper.

Old 05-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

as of today, mine never kick back on my p700

Old 05-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Reds650,
With a module and key the timing is advanced immediately off of idle..........28* + key, that is what the add ons do.

I had 3 Prairies in my shop yesterday we........3 of us started our quads 100 times each, 50 with stock and 50 with Dyna cdi. Only once did one quad have a problem. We took everything apart to see what may have caused the problem, carbs, cams, head, electrical all the way from the stator to the cdi. It all checked out. The only difference we could see was the one gas cap was not vented like the other two. I have vented my gas cap for some time now this could be why I have never had a problem. The gas tank can pressure up pushing extra fuel into the intake this has been a problem with the Kawi carbs for quite some time.

If it only happens when the bike is warm or on cold start ups this maybe the result of a pressurized gas tank along with a stronger spark. Just a thought, try venting your gas tank after stopping your quad at least it is a try. We didn't have anymore problems after we vented his gas tank something to try!!

04kawasaki,
You are probably the first one with a blown starter let us know what happens.

Prairie633,
I am sure if DG would have had this problem with their cdi they would have come forth with it but I would gather it never happen on their cdi. I also believe DG tried to adapt an OEM system in the initial stage of their research. I believe there was other issues that prevented DG like legal stuff if I remember correctly, timing and better spark was not issue. I do not wish to get into a battle about who's is best. I will say the the OEM CDI sucks and no key and module will replace a full blown cdi. Since DG has seen the new cdi what is stopping DG from building one themselves. The DG tech has a bench copy cdi why has he not improved on the design and built a new one. Are we to believe that the OEM cdi is the best there is and can only be enhanced by a module? NOT!

I feel for the people who have had a Kick Back problem could it be a reverse fire it is hard to say. The ones I have tested along with Sgt. Rock have worked flawlessly. I will stick with mine.

Try venting your gas tank it could be a simple fix just a thought!!

Old 05-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

alltoys - we shouldn't have to push a button and knock three times and dust a magic potion to get this thing to work reliably! Venting the gas tank? Screw that. Dyna marketed this thing as a bolt on performance enhancer. You are supposed to plug it in and ride. We shouldn't have to deal with all this crap because dyna's testing was totally insufficent. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

I've installed the CDI just a couple of days ago and I've hot and cold started the bike maybe 10 -15 times since then.
I've never heard any clank or difference from the stock CDI in starting or shutting down the bike.
If I'm going to hear any weird noise I'll report here for sure.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Thats exactly right lightman. Im not going to remove my gas cap everytime I stop or start the P650 with the dyna cdi. Its simply not performing the way Dyna said it would.

I have seen no gains what so ever with my cdi. Only gains I did see was with the test cdi that nyroc has now, it did give me a whopping 2 mph more on top end. To be honest about it I will rarely ever see that top end in normal riding. Nyroc and I did test with and without my Dyna cdi against his test cdi last weekend at a 300' drag strip. The outcome was very similar each time we ran. Sometimes I would be out in front just a bit and then he would and sometimes we would be even. It didnt matter what cdi I had in. The Kickback is getting worse with mine also.

For the reasons above, "no power increase" and "kickback" Im sending mine back today. Im still trying to decide if I should just ask for a refund or let them test it. Trouble is when they do test it and it proves to be defective it will be until June before I get a replacement cdi. I think thats BS. I will probably write them and ask for a full refund or if they cant do that I will dispute the charges under "defective merchandise" with the credit card company.

For all who used a credit card you can do this. I have already talked with my credit card company and you can dispute charges and get refunds if a product is proven to be defective or damaged upon delivery even though the seller doesnt have a refund policy. The kickback issue is a sure sign of defective merchandise. I have ALL THESE POST to prove it is a problem also if I need evidence.

Im gonna just get my money back and buy the DG3.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Pro Rider

My problem is, I DID get an awesome power gain. With 27" outlaws(heavy) I can nail the throttle and wheelie out of control. Before I'd have to lean way back and yank to even get the wheels off the ground. I didn't test top speed gain but didn't expect much with a timing advance..duh. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have had the clank happen one time, twice in a row. It's enough to worry ya.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.