Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Roost
How much throttle are you giving it once the engine starts turning? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Old 05-12-2004, 03:32 PM
mrh
Trailblazer

Along the line of what Sgt Rock was talking about is kind of where I was heading in previous posts - do guys having rpoblems have offset keys or their cams offset that is not allowing the decompression button to work properly?

Old 05-12-2004, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 04kawasaki700prairie
I added this mod the Dynatek cdi on my 04 700 Prairie and made same noises then the starter blew out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] there is a serious problem with the mod.I suggest taken it out if yours is making that noise. (my opinion and call Dynatek and tell them I did and waiting for Scott to call me back.
Wow. Thats not good news. Arghhhhh. I hope dyna does the stand up thing and takes care of this problem. I hope they don't try to blame it on individual circumstances etc. One shouldn't have to start their bike in a special way to avoid this problem, it shouldn't be happening. Darn it. Now I may take it off and wait a while.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Good thing I didn't sell my DG Holeshot and DG3 modules. Hah!

I am not loaning them out either.

Old 05-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I am not sure what all this hoop - law is about a little kick back. Lets see what has been said so far. To much timing can cause this lets call a hick up rather than a kick back. A key and a module will advance timing to 33* immediately off 1100 rpm, now lets see how the Dyna works. A slight ramp from initial 1100 rpm not an immediate take off of timing. By this set of facts I would think that timing has nothing to do with it.

If timing is not the culprit then there must be something else. I can say for a fact that a stronger spark will make the motor idle faster and that does happen with the Dyna cdi. I have noticed with my last 2 machines that this happens only because it has a definite 200 volts output to the coils on start up where the OEM cdi does not. Could this alone be the problem and if the cdi puts out more to the coils then I say good a stronger output to the coils is a good thing. Will this hurt the motor, not at all. I prefer to run premium gas in my quad not once have I experienced this hick - up phenomenon I do however have to reduce my idle. This is the only problem if you can call it that is to turn down the idle. Let it be known that I have had different ignitions on my quads over the last 3 years and yes the idle is changed by a stronger spark but this can be changed not a major thing.

I believe Dyna has a good product and is far superior, FAR SUPERIOR to the OEM cdi + module + key. This hick - up is not a big deal IMO!!

Old 05-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

alltoys, its not a hickup its a large clank, and what about the blown starter already?

Old 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: alltoys
I am not sure what all this hoop - law is about. A key and a module will advance timing to 33* immediately off 1100 rpm, now lets see how the Dyna works. A slight ramp from initial 1100 rpm not an immediate take off of timing. By this set of facts I would think that timing has nothing to do with it.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
A key and module WILL NOT advance the timing to 33* right at 1100 rpm roflmao.
You get 10* at 1000 rpm and ramps to 33* at 5000. Did anyone check the timing with a light[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
I did

Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I can tell you one thing and that is the dynatek cdi that I have is no better than my stock one. Plus, I have the kickback that seems to have been getting worse until I finally pulled that POS cdi and installed my stock one.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Mine is definitely better than the stock one in terms of power and performance. It rips! I just am worried now after having the loud clank and hearing about the broken starter.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.