Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

I experienced kickback today several times, I always use the key to shut machine down. I experienced it when starting machine in gear using the brake lever. I started putting in neutral and started it several times with no kickback. Coincendence probably, may take new CDI out until someone sorts out. I know it is not battery or loose cables, will try a lower idle tomorrow.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've been following this thread with keen interest. I have a CDI ordered but it won't ship till June. I'd like to suggest that one of you gurus check the timing with a timing light. My guess is that it is being advanced beyond 5 deg by the CDI during crank and at idle. That would explain the fast idle that all have experienced...and also the kickback problem.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

Humm > So far, no kickbacks on my 04' P700. Probably 30 starts since Dyna CDI install.

I do however keep the battery on trickle charge when I'm not riding - Just an old habit I developed years ago. Seems to help wet cells last longer...

Wish I could remember for sure, but I'm (almost) positive I had to reduce idle after the cdi. Problem is, I also adjusted air/fuel screws due to cdi.

Old 04-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

NYROC

my idle was high with the cdi. i turned it down the same day.

i really didnt notice any kick back though. i will see this weekend.

155f/158r jets
needles shimmed .033
3 1/2 turns on the pilots
dynatek cdi
epi black
700p drive spring
warn 2000
plow

Old 04-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Scott, why wouldn't the stock CDI get kickback, if in fact the voltage was the problem?

Does your CDI require more volts than the stock one?

Old 04-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: nyroc
Nova, the standard map and reverse map are identical from 0 to 1500RPM, so whether you have a holeshot of not, you have 5 degrees timing. Therefore having a holeshot wont change the idle speed (at 1100rpm). If your idle was set to 2500, then the reverse map would slow the idle down for 3 seconds and have no effect after that (basically holeshots do not affect the idle).
Nope. My machine at a 1200 RPM idle will immediately jump to 1350-1400RPM's when I turn on the module. (I have a switch on the bars). I've seen 2 others do the same thing; theirs had no tach, but you could hear the idle speed increase with the module. This was with either a Freedom or reds650 module, both had the same effect.
One more point - I'm running a 6 degree key which puts me one degree above the Dyna CDI at an idle or at maximum advance; no hint of a kickback.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

No Problems with mine, at all. However, I am very curious that almost everyone is experiencing easier starting(when they aren't kicking back), and it idles higher with the Dyna. There is 1 and only 1 explanation for this, THE TIMING IS DIFFERENT FROM THE STOCK TIMING, AT IDLE. Scott keeps saying that their timing is the same as stock, at idle. I have very little experience in electronics, but common sense says that there HAS to be a difference at idle speeds. Please correct me, if I'm not seeing this right.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

CF&W
Excellent point!!!

Old 04-29-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

My idle increased approx 100-150 with the new CDI, just as it did with the test CDI that nyroc got from Sgtrock. I started the P650 10 times, tonight with and without using the kill switch and got no kickback this time. Like I told Scott on the phone, I will ride it next weekend and see how it does. If the performance is exceptional I will accept the kickback, if the performance is the same as stock or just marginal then I will send it back for testing.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

You WILL have a performance increase! I can wheelie again in high gear, which I couldn't do after the cam redegree.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.