Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Hi I am new here just joined yesterday but have been readind for along time.

First off I just got my jetting set right and with the Dyna cdi I noticed a big improvement over stock, runs better, fan doesn't run as much as it used to, wheelies a whole lot better and you got to love those reverse wheelies!

Second I got a call from Carl at dynatek and he said that they are calling everybody that bought a cdi (some 250 people) to see if they are having any problems. I told him that i haven't had any but that i haven't ridden it much with the cdi in so couldn't be sure about the kickback and he said if you do have any problems ( he doesn't think i will if i haven't yet) to call him and let him know.

so it sounds like they are trying and he seemed like a nice guy ( he also said they know about all the talk about this subject on these forums and that is why they are calling everybody).

Old 05-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Ruttrat, just keep a close ear on it =] I rode 200 miles before mine clanked, and about 150 since then and it hasn't done it again. Who knows. The lazy part of me wants to just leave it on and see how it goes, but the prudent side says send it back. Arghh, decisions !

Old 05-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Lightman: You obviously are very pleased with the cdi. If it takes a certain minor starting technique to avoid kickback, such as staying off the gas or choke when turning it over, whatever works for you, why not just accept it and enjoy the performance. Personally, I have not had one 'clank', but I make sure it's started before getting off the button. However, if it jacked up my starter or anything else, I would be very, very, PO'd.

I personally do not even think about it anymore, cause I'm used to starting it a certain way that may or may not have anything to do with it kicking back. Kind of a baseball type ritual, you know?

Right now though: What?, me worry?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

well got my quad back fri and got my replacement cdi as well I tried it out and what a difference it made.the old one that i had problem with did not work like the new replacment that dynatek sent me.It was defently a bad cdi.Went to the hundred WV Run today just got back.No noises or problems think I have a good one now.Just thought you all would like to know.being i had alot of problems with the 1st run cdi.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Oh i thought you weren't going to try it or were going to sell it? Glad it works. I may send mine back.

Old 05-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Pulled the Dynatek CDI out after a ride today. Clanked several times. Will be calling Dynatek on Monday. I going to send the CDI back for testing. Going to give them another try. Love the plug and play where I can remove the CDI and put the stock one in when my kids ride. Have not noticed any real performance gains with the current Dynatek CDI. 04kawasaki700prairie its a shame we did drag race today to see the differences. What a messed up ride the Hundred, WV ride was.

Old 05-15-2004, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haynes it sure was .al i can say is it was a LOST kind of day.LOL Last time was great.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

The low voltage thing is out. I ripped all the wiring out of the Regulator/Rectifier and I was about 30 miles out on the trails. I HAD TO PULL START THE BEAST AT LEAST 50 TIMES NO KICKS BACKS WHAT A PAIN. The voltage was so low every time the fan came on the motor died at the end if I hit the brakes the motor died the brake light was to much but I could still pull start it with no kick backs.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

We ran another 2 hour harescramble with our two DYNA cdi powered Prairies and and never had the slightest of problems, I stood there before the race and was starting and killing the engine on both machines over and over about 25 times on each machine, just to make sure they would start and launch right away for the holeshot! We never had one kickback and at the end of the race knowing the machines would be very hot, I started and killed them a few times checking for kickbacks,,,, none!!!!!! Oh, and to top it off,,, we smoked um in the utility class,,, we were 13 minutes ahead in the end and oh,,, we also won the holeshot by about 2 quad lengths!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

It seems that if you know how to tune a quad you have no problems even with low voltage. END OF STORY!!!!!!

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.