Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Mina has yet to kick back, but if some of the parts were/are bad how do we know that we are getting everything that we can out of the cdi. If there is a difference, does that mean it is working 100%? Mine makes as much difference on the bottom as my modules did, not sure if it makes much difference in midrange. It feels different but the speedo usually says the same thing regardless whether it is the stock CDI or the Dyna CDI. Any thoughts?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

mudmagnet, you might have one with the bad parts? That is why Dyna should just replace all of the first 250 to be on the safe side.

Old 05-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Just got off the phone with Scott at Dyantek. He said a full refund wouldnt be a problem. He was very nice about it and I now I can recommend Dynatek based on their customer service.

I told him I just didnt want to wait until June "or later, who knows", for a replacement. I wish all Dyantek owners the best of service and performance with their Dynatek CDI. This is the last reply I will make reguarding Dynatek until my refund is credited.

Thanks again Scott, sorry it didnt work out.

Tim

Old 05-20-2004, 03:17 PM
MDG
Range Rover

Well anybody else with news from dynatek. I e-mailed them last Friday and have not got a response.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Range Rover

try phoning instead.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I agree, try the phone.

Old 05-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

I got an e-mail response from Scott at Dyna Tech, So I'm going to take him at his word and install it and see how it does. A lot of forum members cried & cried for a company(s) to take the initiative and make a performance ignition for our V's. Forum members beat DG profusely about the head when they did not deliver on the CDI for the Holeshot & now are singing praise for the DG3 Module.

Hopefully, By Dynatech stepping up to the plate, debugging their first batch, and working with the people who sent them back we can now have our cake and eat it too. Now that they have a baseline perhaps Dyna Tech will offer more performance parts for our V's that work in unison with their ignition.

Here is the E-Mail:

Dear Terry,

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. There is only one "batch" of ignitions out right now. while they were finish assembled in smaller "lots" they are all basically the same. the starter kickback only seems to have affected about 10% of the units at this time and there are just as many people reporting no problems on the forums as there are having a problem. This has been traced to a simple internal parts failure. I would not recommend returning the ignition unless it shows a problem. I highly doubt that 1 kickback will hurt anything. The ones that I have heard of damaging starters had several kickbacks. If your kicks once, let me know and send it in.

Unfortunately, we do not have any specific jetting information available. This can vary widely depending on modifications and state of tune.

Scott

At 09:37 PM 5/17/04 -0500, you wrote:

Hi Scott
I still have my Dayna CDI New in the box that I ordered in April and have not opened the UPS Box. Hearing about all the kickback troubles, I decided not to Open the box yet. Should I return CDI for inspection or Swap out? Please check the lot Number on mine and Advise. I don't want to screw up my starter if it is one of the lot numbers experiencing Kickbacks. My Dyna CDI is for an 02 Prairie 650. Also what Jet increases are you recomending we start at and air screw setting?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Range Rover

"Dear Terry,

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation floating around out there. There is only one "batch" of ignitions out right now. while they were finish assembled in smaller "lots" they are all basically the same. the starter kickback only seems to have affected about 10% of the units at this time and there are just as many people reporting no problems on the forums as there are having a problem. This has been traced to a simple internal parts failure. I would not recommend returning the ignition unless it shows a problem. I highly doubt that 1 kickback will hurt anything. The ones that I have heard of damaging starters had several kickbacks. If your kicks once, let me know and send it in.

Unfortunately, we do not have any specific jetting information available. This can vary widely depending on modifications and state of tune.

Scott"

This sounds reasonable to me, this is a new product, a first run batch and they encountered a manufactoring defect, which they are acknowlegding and apparently taking action to correct. I've had a friend in the USA order one for me, to save some cash on brokerage fee etc... and should have it any day, I will be installing mine, if as scott says, "If your kicks once, let me know and send it in. " This sounds proper and will send mine back for a replacement unit, which should have all the bugs worked out.
cheers
"

Old 05-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

Alot of companies are struggling to figure out how to deal with doing business in todays climate... Diamond G, High Lifter, & now Dyna, have all struggled ( there are more ), with doing business through the forums... It can generate a huge amount of sales... for example, if someone went out & tried a Polaris pink spring in their Prairie, & reported a 25% increase in top speed, & a few others confirm this, you could'nt buy a Polaris pink spring, they would sell out, in one day... Dyna, said that they had gotten burned with another product, so they went into this cautiously... now they are back ordered till when ever, even with new product glitches...

However, we as consumers need to be skeptical of these new products claims, especially if it's just what we've been looking for, as there is a powerfull amout of money at stake here... if someone like NYROC, or ALLTOY's endorses a product, the sales will definately be brisk... this puts great temptation on these guy's, as we all know, this is not a cheap sport, if a producer actively goes after one of our "guru's", how do we as internet users know what are real claims or not... I seem to remember some endorsement of the Nabor module, claiming it could do more than the DGR module, by ALLTOY's, last year... I had never been able to document any of these claims...

I think I have now found a way, that I'm atleast comfortable with, & this is the Drag Strip... once I have my quad & wheelie bar dialed in, so that I can WOT, from the line, with out launching it skyward, I'll be testing these modules, & watching the 60ft & 330 ft times, ( they will be recorded along with all the other distance times & speeds, on the time slips, from the drag strip )... I tried to get High Lifter to send me one, but they declined, as they said theirs was going out the door as fast as they got them in ... a forum member at ATV NATION is sending me one to test with the others... DGR, sent me a DG-3, & I currently have a DGR Holeshot, & "that" Nabor unit that I'll include in the test... I talked to Scott at Dyna, & while I think satisfying their existing customers is a great idea ( I think they are estimating a 10% failure rate, which any of you Q.C. guy's would have to admit is an unacceptable failure rate )... they have more negitive P.R. on these forum right now, with the hits on the thread on CONNECTION, numbering in the thousands, I'd think that a hard & fast test of their product against the others would be worth their while, but they also decined...

Does anyone have an '02 CDI, that seems to be working correctly, that they'd be willing to give up, for a few weeks in June ??? I'd like to perform all these tests on the same day, under the same conditions, for best accuracy...

anyway, I have a mud bog race to win, the 2nd Saturday in June, then hope to test these modules the 3rd or 4th Saturday in June... Look for the results...

Old 05-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, didn't your mother tell you, "don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see" [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Mine is still in the box in Maine, I'm in Florida for a month, couldn't spare it for weeks, but maybe we could work something out between pulls.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.