Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 11:39 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

tuffenuf lol

Old 05-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Tuffenuf and Briant Sorry if I may of sounded testy but this tred was going nowhere and yes I cant spell. OK here goes 1. Yes I did leave the Holeshot in 2. Yes I did readjust the Idle. 3. I was allready at 142/145 on mains and 3 and 3.5 on pilots at 4000 feet but did not readjust for Dyna but I am thinking of raising my needles to .040 from .020 but have not done so yet. I have load tested my batt and it is also fine but trying to diagnose a problem I dont have is very hard. I am very pleased to have what I consider pertinent questions though. I am still hoping that someone with the problem will do some pertinent experiments. Such as something as simple as hooking up battery charger and starting the unit this way with the charger supplmenting the battery and see if the problem still exist 15 or 20 starts is all we need.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drove my P700 all weekend (70 miles) with a lot of stop and go, I never got any kickback.
I run with stock exhaust and jetting and a Dalton clutch kit. I never use the kill switch on the handle bar, I alway wait for the engine to idle before turning the key off and I give a little throttle when starting. My battery is often low because I have a car CD player on my bike playing every time we stop for a beverage!! I had to reduce the idle speed when I installed the new CDI.

My p700 is running good from 0 to 28mph. When I am cruising between 28mph to 31mph and I open the trottle the engine is bogging for a few seconds before responding to the trottle.
For a few seconds it is looking like I am running out of fuel!!! the bike is running good at all other speeds outside this range (28-31mph).

No kickback as of now!!

All my friends tried the new CDI on their Prairie and most of them will order one because it is a simple plug&play installation, no need to cut pink wire!!!

Old 05-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

Well it's my turn, Been running the cdi for 2 or so weeks and today, there it was, a kick back! I have started my wheeler who knows how many times without a problem. Then just one time it did it. It was a very large clunk and kinda scared me.
It also has a little tapping noise in the valves now. I have about 150 hours on mine and probably need a valve adjustment anyway. I sure hope this isnt a continuos thing.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I've only taken my quad out 3x since I've installed the CDI, but have had no clunks or weird kickbacks.

The idle increased substantially upon installation of the CDI. I immediately adjusted them, as well as turning out my low speed airscrews to 2.5 turns out. I have 142/145 jetting with a custom snorkel set. The bike starts very very easily/quickly, I think easier with the new cdi. I have no popping or hesitation at any rpms.

Sportsmaneplan - your high speed jets sound like they are too lean...this is most easily tested around half throttle and then hitting it. If you have a slight hesitation and have stock jetting, I bet you are too lean.

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about this situation, and the performance gain is great. 3mph is definitely worth the money, considering the gain is linear across the powerband. How severe are these clunks/kickbacks? I guess enough to worry people. I'll have to wait and see.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Here is my question........
The kick back, I am assuming is the clunk I heard in the engine while trying to start it. If this is the same noise everyone is hearing where is it (the clunk)coming from? The starter? The valve train? What is clunking? mine sounded like it came from the right side of the engine.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

Although my CDI gave me 2mph on the top, it sure did a whole lot more than just top speed. I swapped back and forth 3 or 4 times with Kissofdeath within a short period of time and that gave us both a good idea of what it does. It makes more power at all RPMs. IT is really cool. The exhaust tone sounds better too (More even).

My 650 never kicksback cold. I started a bunch of times on sat. It was fine. Anyone saying that theirs didn't do it but only tried it out around the house doesn't count. It seems that you have to go on a long ride to see it, since it will only do it while warm and not right after the quad has been sitting a week. To me that rules out farting around with a trickle charger. My alternator charged my battery for hours before my first kickback.

This kickback doesn't matter to me if it won't harm anything.

So far, one guy claims his starter is screwed, and another guy says he has a topend tick now. The most important thing to me is that we figure out whether the CDI damaged their quads or if it is a coincidence.

Does the guy with a topend tick really have a new problem or did he just barely notice the normal shoe tick?

Where is that guy with a starter problem?

Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

I've only ridden 3x with my CDI, but have put probably 50 miles on during those rides. Haven't experienced any problems but more power!

I just now went out to the garage to start and stop it a few times. It started and stopped just fine, although the first time, after it started, I heard a loud PING, which freaked me out, I was like oh no that sounded terrible. Then I realied a tool had rolled off the top of my storage box and hit the floor. PING [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I am with the very small minority of ppl here that are not gonna worry about it, and don't think that this is a big enough concern to stop running the CDI. I love it and from my personal experience so far(which isn't that extensive) I'd buy it again.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Lightman
The idle increased substantially upon installation of the CDI.

That would mean that the idle timing is much higher than a stock CDI unit.
Not a good thing.
I'd send it back and have them retest it for proper timing curve.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

there are alot of possible causes. i realize mine has done it before testing with ignition and i believe it was from trying to start it without the choke. after it did that i would always have to use the choke to start it. however when testing ign. it was way worse and i broke the flywheel key after a number of changes while trying to get the ign. to run the quad. just thought this might help/

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.