Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Mine has yet to kick back. I have now started it over 50 times. Hot, cold it doesn't matter. I never use my kill button always the key. My idle is higher and more steady than with the stock CDI. I attributed this to stronger and more consistant spark.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

Prairiewrench - I think the main reason we aren't sending them back is that we aren't sure if it is a problem. I think the second reason is that other people that have sent theirs back have found that Dyna says there is nothing wrong with their CDI. So I think many of us doubt that anything is going to change if we do send it back, other than we will be stuck with the stocker.

The reason I haven't sent mine back is that it is the prototype. I don't think Dyna will warrantee it.

Another thing is that my prototype never kicked back on Sgtrock's 650 in all the teting he did with it. That makes me really curious to see why mine did it and why his didn't.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

I sent mine back the same day I received it. When I first installed it, and had trouble starting my P700 right from the start. I removed the CDI and went back to the OEM. The problem went away. I then re-installed the Dyna and had MAJOR difficulty starting with the kickback. I Fedex'd it 2 day. I talked to Raymond and Scott as well. They were great and returned the CDI overnight so that I could dyno the next day. I installed it and my P700 started immediately and much easier. I believe the must have reflashed it. And yes, the dyno clearly shows the results. I then found another issue...but what else is new.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

I just got back from a few days of ripping up Tug Hill. A few days and a couple dozen starts. Hot, cold, wet, dry, muddy ect. The Dyna kicked back one time, a hot start after about 40 miles. It is the only time I've gotten kickback since I readjusted my idle from a suggestion in this thread. In my mind it seems to be related to a gas flow thing. If I'm on the throttle too much at start up, it seems to want to kickback, or if its idleing too high. I love my Dyna, and I'm not sending it back. My old '03 is waaay out of warranty anyway, if I break something, I've got no one to blame but me, so I'll just fix it. I'll be following this thread with interest to see if any of you guys actually find some concrete evidence on what is causeing it, but until then, I'll enjoy my 650 like I always have, hard on the throttle. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Is it possible that the cams are stopping in a different position at shutdown? My thought is that if the cams are 'landing' in a position that has the valves closed, but not yet on the auto compression release detent, the compression could cause the kickback.

It may not be possible, I need to think it through some more. It could explain the random nature of the problem. Are the guys that are having the problem more frequently running different cam timing such as 10* or V-Force cams?

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 05-05-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

Could someone more accurately describe the kickback? If sounds like a slight groan, like the engine has turned over one last time before it shut off, mine has done that since stock. Not sure if it's happening to me or not, but I'm certainly not worried about how my quad sounds or runs. I love my dyna.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

An early fire makes the engine stop (or nearly stop) during cranking. Some have said it happens on the first revolution. KOD and I think it was around the 3rd or 4th engine revolution (by ear). Some say it happens cold, but I think most kickbacks occur hot.

So far the only plausable reason I have heard is that the an early spark is occuring while the engine is not turning at a consistent angular velocity while starting. I am convinced it is the second cylinder that is getting the early spark.

So far the only plausable solution I think we are hearing is no to give it gas while starting it warm. I can live with that. I think that is why some people don't have kickback and some do, just adifferent in starting habits and idle adjustment. I don't believe that the battery voltage has anything to do with it, since mine kicks back only whn the engine is hot, and I have been riding a long time without lights or winch.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I do have my idle adjusted to as low as it will idle and shift smoothly. I give it gas every single startup and have never noticed anything that I would consider odd. Not sure if this means I have kickbacks and dont think they're a big deal or if I haven't had any. I suspect people may be making too big of a deal out of this.

Old 05-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

As I have said many times before in this post, it is only a "big deal" if it ruins our starters or anything else. One person has suggested that it caused a starter problem and we are waiting to get a report back from him. Also, another has claimed that his topend started making noises.

We need to know whether this is an issue. It is very important.

Old 05-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I agree that it happens after motor has been running for awhile. I now turn the key and stay on it until I'm sure motor is running. I would get it when I let off on key and motor was actually not running. Several times when it happened others with me said what to hell was that, I never let on about the new CDI. I have not had that noise since I leave starter on until I'm sure engine is running.

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.