Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.

What are you guys 15? Grow up.

I'm surprised that anyone said they got a replacement cdi and has the same power as stock. Possibly that guy has some tuning issues, I don't know. All I know is with the dyna it pulls way harder and it would never wheelie before - now I can flip it....

Old 08-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Brads, What is your official job title or area of responsibility at Dynatek? If you are really in the R&D loop, and not an employee relative or non-professional there, I have some technical questions for you.

Old 08-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

Brads,

You need a PM icon!!!

Old 08-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: prairie633
Brads, What is your official job title or area of responsibility at Dynatek? If you are really in the R&D loop, and not an employee relative or non-professional there, I have some technical questions for you.
I am one of the engineers that design the ignitions. I didn't design the prairie ignition. But ask away if you have questions, and I will answer what I can.

Alltoys, I set it up to receive PMs now. Scott is going to be a much better source for prairie specific info, and general questions.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Brads;

First I have to commend Dyna and Scott for taking care of the problems that had developed with the first batch.

I emailed Scott the other day and told him I had one of the very first CDI and haven't had it out of the box yet, I ask what would happen if I had a problem with it being this long since I bought it. He explained that it would be covered for 2 years, now that service.

I was one of the ones on this post that thought the kick back would be caused by to advanced timing at idle. I wasn't saying it was planned, just that something was malfunctioning and makeing the timing advance to quickly.

Just for my own information, what caused the kick back, maybe this was already posted.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: alltoys
Brads,

You need a PM icon!!!
Actually, he needs a PMS icon!

Scott

Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: SHOTGUN

Just for my own information, what caused the kick back, maybe this was already posted.
We were never able to duplicate the kickback here, to the best of my knowledge. This was tried on several quads, and we never had any luck getting one to kickback. So we did several minor tweaks to the box to try to smooth out its starting. Nothing after starting was affected. Idle timing was NOT the culprit, as that wasn't changed between old and new box from what I know.

Brad

Old 08-24-2004, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

brads, do you think it was some kind of noise interference that was about impossible to duplicate?

Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: KISSSOFDEATH
brads, do you think it was some kind of noise interference that was about impossible to duplicate?

Highly doubtful. The biggest maker of noise on the bike is almost always the cap firing. So noise from that wouldn't matter until after you had already fired the coil once and accelerated the crank enough to get past the potential kickback RPM.

Brad

Old 08-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

I got my first one around Apr 10th and it kicked back 2-3 times, but when it didn't, it would fire right on the first revolution, my new replacement one makes a little more power than the first, by fire's on the second or third revolution, but has never offered to kickback once.....don't know why slowing the startup made such a difference but it did..........

Quick Reply: dyna cdi makes motor kickback when starting.