Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

87 mojave boggs and stutter on full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 mojave boggs and stutter on full throttle

well i bought a 87 mojave a few day ago i only got to ride it twice cause of the the rain and i really haven't got to look at it much iether. but when i was riding it when i was in first it rides fine but when i shift to second and maybe try a donut or sling it around by give it the full trottle it just bogs down loke its getting to much gas it has aftermarket pipes a rebuilt carb that was done about 6 mounth ago. i call a local dealer ship and they said more than likly it would need to be rejetted he said the jet kit was $59 and the labor was $120 so i would be looking at close to 200 bucks do that sound like a resonable price.ive known this shop to over charge people. and is that something a amerture shouldn't try to do should i leave it up to the pros. I aso wanted to know would it hurt it if i still rode it another thing is when iam getting to the end of the gear it starts stuttering or just makes a stalling sound it does not get full power. but it sure idle like a champ any feed back would help this rookie

Old 04-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

take your carb off yourself and inspect the jets

Old 04-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

when i take them off what should i look for. Iam waiting on my manual when i picked up th mohawk i left the book in my uncles truck but ill get it soon

Old 04-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

it has stoped raining iam going to take the carberator off to see if i see anything if anyone have any tips on what i should look for please feel free to coment i rode it and it seem to be getting worse at times

Old 04-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Its got to be your jetting, pull the plug and let us know the color if the end.

Old 04-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

What kinda air filter you got, and how dirty is it? Next what octane gas you runnin and what is recommended for your bike? Last, Jets aren't hard if you have any mechanicl aptitude what so ever. If you can turn a screwdriver, you can pull your jets. Even without prior knowledge, the whole job shouldn't take more than 30min. When you get the jets out, you'll be looking for dirt in the holes. If there is any sign of dirt, you can usually clean it out with one good blast of carb cleaner (aerosol can type). If you do all that, and still have problems, drain your gas tank, pull the two bolts that hold the gas valve on the tank, slide that valve assembly out, and on the back side of it there should be a filter (two if you have a reserve on the valve), make sure they're clean, and put fresh, high octane gas in it. If after all that, you still have problems, put a compression tester on it, and make sure you don't have low compression. Or do them all at once and save yourself some time. If none of it works, then and only then, seek professional help. That's what I'd do before droppin $200 bucks for a couple hours work.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok iama go take that carb off and what do you mean by octain gas like super unleaded

Old 04-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, at the gas pump there'll be a little yellow sticker with a # on it. Usually 87, 89, and 91. Get the 91 octane.

Old 04-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: craZ400
Yes, at the gas pump there'll be a little yellow sticker with a # on it. Usually 87, 89, and 91. Get the 91 octane.
Why??

Old 04-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

It tends to burn cleaner. I've had trouble with 87 octane gas making my various bikes run like crap. Never had a prob with 91 octane. And for a few extra cents, it doesn't hurt to try something different. If doing all that cleaning gets the guys quad running good, then he can go back to 87, and see what happens. I personally like to run 91+.

Quick Reply: 87 mojave boggs and stutter on full throttle